vrijdag 29 januari 2021

On All Fours. Goat Girl

Going on the interview I read in 'Oor', I took it that On All Fours could well be the third album released recently where experiment trumps free flowing melodies in an exciting and good way. So after 'Painting The Roses' by Midnight Sister and 'Silhouette' by Lili Grace it is time to focus on On All Fours, Goat Girl's new album.

Besides welcoming a new bass player the band introduces a combination of dreamy alternative popsongs and electronics woven into the popsongs. The result is beauty mixing with slightly disorienting, pulsating vibes. If one thing has revealed itself to me, it is that the songs agree with me as God's word to a churchwarden, totally.

There are certainly traces to a band like Warpaint, with a major difference for me. With Warpaint it is the atmosphere I dig, but usually not the songs that much persé. With Goat Girl it is the opposite. The atmosphere is a nice addition to the quality of the songs and I know what I prefer alright. Yes, there are estranging elements built into the songs, but they do not disturb the main message and that is and remains the songs themselves. I think the best example here is 'Sad Cowboy' where it all comes together superbly.

Because of the electronics the songs get even more layers than they already possess. On All Fours is far from an instantly digestible album but will reveal itself over more listening sessions than I've allowed myself before writing. The first layer is the basic melody that will have presented itself when the idea for the song presented itself to the author. Next comes the dreamy textures that were added with on top of it and the vocal melodies and harmonies that add to the dreaminess. You will find that the harmonies are often far from following the main melody closely but are intricate, even with counter melodies. The electronics provide another layer. The lyrics are worth listening to as well. Windows on the soul come by if you listen for them. The dreamy pop that is the result of this all, is a winner. I can't exclude that I may miss a layer or two at this point in time.

Promo photo: Holly Whitaker
I have a faint recollection of Goat Girl's first album, 'Goat Girl' from 2018. You won't find it on this blog, as I did not find it special enough to take it out of the large supply of records that come by each week. That does not make the next album something to look out for. I was certainly influenced by that interview and by a single released in the fall of 2020. 'The Crack' was interesting, so I made a note to check further, which is easily forgotten. I'm glad I checked On All Fours out as it good.

To come back to the two albums above. No, On All Fours doesn't experiment like Midnight Sister does or get totally out of hand as Lili Grace allows its music to do. This album is far more subtle. The four young women have taken their respective experiences of their lives so far and took them on as a band and not as a singer-songwriter with three backing musicians. On All Fours is a full band effort and I think it shows. Finally a tip for fans of this album, check out Dakota's 'Here's The 101 On How To Disappear'. You'll definitely like the album. (Because of this thought, I found out that there is a vinyl version after all and ordered it on the spot.)

With the album in my possession for a short time it is too early to say whether On All Fours is a triumph. That only time can tell. The impression is hinting in this direction though. I loved 2020 musically and now 2021 is starting with albums like this. So where are we heading for?

Wo.

You can order and listen to On All Fours here:

https://goatgirl.bandcamp.com/


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten