donderdag 25 april 2024

Festina Lente. Dog Park

"The jingle-jangle morning comes following you". Most lovers of 1960s pop and folk music will recognise this famous line. I'm reminded of it because of the way guitars are played on Dog Park's debut album. It is all over Festina Lente.

Dog Park is an indie pop/rock band from Paris, that made its debut on this blog several weeks ago with the singe 'Time', a song that made me curious to hear the album. That album is now here and does not disappoint. In fact, most of it is pretty good. For a few reasons, the songs, the variety, the sound. An album can do a lot worse.

Dog Park is Erica Ashleson, Isabella Cantani, Sarah Pitet and Jean Duffour, from the US, Brazil and France. They all play multiple instruments and sing. So don't ask me who does what, where. I don't know. It explains the variety I heard before realising the band's set up. They all met at a live show in 2021 and decided to start making music together. As good a place as any.

Musically the band's bio mentions Veronica Falls, Real Estate and Beach Fossils. I have reviewed albums of all three bands on this blog, so writing on Dog Park should not come as a surprise. The influences I hear go back all the way back to the 1960s but the 90s, 00s and 10s indie music is the most obvious.

Dog Park always plays a softer form of indie rock/pop with very dreamy vocals. Always soft and relaxed, looking at the world from a distance. My guess is that Erica Ahleson is singing then, based on the accentless English. Like in 'lalala', one of my favourite songs on Festina Lente. On top of it all a The Cure like guitar line comes in adding that final, fine coating to it, making the song perfect.

This is just one example. I could mention 'Mirror' as another example. With its fine slow bass, Robert Smith guitar and a smooth carpet from the keyboard, the song will allow for a swaying form of dancing at a live show.

With Festina Lente Dog Park has released a fine album. Not one I associate with Paris nor France. (Ok, 'Stimulation' may have a chanson side to it.) Good music can come from anywhere. The challenge is to make it reach my ears. Dog Park succeeded and I'm glad for it to have done so.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order Festina Lente here:

https://geographie.bandcamp.com/album/festina-lente

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten