maandag 30 september 2019

Woman. Wallis Bird

Listening to Woman for the first few times I had the impression to be listening to a new, young artist. Extremely talented and good at everything she puts her mind to. So every song sounds different, addresses another musical style and a way of singing that goes well with the genre.

Listen and you will find modern R&B, 50s crooning, indie, singer-songwriter and 70s folky balladry, but all over a more modern sound belonging somewhat in the here and now.

Wallis Bird however is a 37 year old Irish singer living in London for most of her solo record releasing career. This sheds a different light on what I am hearing, where age and experience are concerned. It takes nothing away from Ms. Bird's quality voice nor her talent. You can find several beautiful songs on her latest record, Woman. No, they are not all for me. When she moves more into R&B, like in Love Respect Peace, I hear a smooth song that is not for me. Until that great twist, not unlike Sophie Hunger is able to pull off. Because of the twist in the drum accents and the singing it becomes an interesting song to listen to. It is in moments like this Wallis Bird brings me into her world even more.

As a whole I notice that Woman is an ideal album to play in the background during dinner or drinks. It is inoffensive, neutral in sound and demeanour. Don't take this as a disqualification. It means that it is an album that I still hear in those circumstances, where others disappear unnoticed. Not Woman. The album has stellar moments that shine always, everywhere. So it is when I listen to it on purpose. The same elements stand out.

The other side is that Woman is a bit too much of too much. It is so diverse that I have a hard time attaching to the album as a whole, with on top of that the musical styles that are not truly mine. Having said that from my personal point of view, it is an album that you should try for yourself. As I wrote, Wallis Bird has the voice and an obviously talent for songwriting. So go ahead, your on your own now.

Wo.


Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten