woensdag 29 januari 2014

Let it live free. He's my brother she's my sister

Another release through the Noisetrade.com website that I would like to draw your attention to. A live EP from a band that does not exactly have an easy name for a band: He's my brother she's my sister. The band name reminded me immediately of the The Hackensaw Boys' track 'We are many'. "On my right sight is my brother on the left is my sister". Musically it doesn't though. This band plays the kind of roots rock that regularly sounds so well in Q-Bus, Leiden. Texas based band 100 Year Flood and San Diego's Dirty Sweet, e.g., that played so well there. Los Angeles based He's my brother ... should be able to do the same thing one day.

Let it live free is not a regular EP or album. It is comprised of a few livetracks, a studio song and a cover, specially compiled for the, basically free, release on Noisetrade. A teaser that has to draw the listener to the real thing or to a show. The real thing is one album released in 2012: 'Nobody dance in this town'. Let it live free is an EP that shows what He's my brother ... is capable of. The music is on the brink of folk, country, rock and other music associated with traditional American roots music.

There really is a sister, Rachel, and a brother, Rob, Kolar, who started the band and sing. Alternately solo and harmonising. No sweet voices here, there is a kind of roughness in there. Think The Parlor Soldiers and especially Alex Culbreth solo. In the cover of The Mamas & the Papas' cover 'Straight shooter' it is even as if Paul Kantner is in the studio. The rest of the band is made up of Lauren Brown (Tap Dancing! Drummer. Now that makes me curious to see the band some day.), Oliver 'Oliwa' Newell and Ryan Richter. The stand up bass, the slide guitar all makes that the songs sound traditional, while at the same time He's my brother ... allows itself to rock full out. Roots rockers to the core this band consists of.

An often heard complaint with bands like this is "they are much better, much more dynamic and such on stage than on record. What I think is the best song on Let it live free is 'The same old ground', the studio track on the EP. This way this EP really becomes a teaser to get to know the band better. Let it live free really sets me on a path to studio album 'Nobody dance in this town'. The great cover of one of The Mamas & the Papas better non-single tracks, 'Straight shooter' closes Let it live free. A good statement to end an album, but also a track that is in line with what went before, musically and quality wise. And that's a compliment.

He's my brother she's my sister gave the world a present that anyone who likes it can unpack. If you're a fan of music in the roots segment you may want to find out where you can find the packet. I just gave the secret away....

Wo.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten