zaterdag 28 augustus 2021

Love Will Be Reborn. Martha Wainwright

It has been years ago since I last heard music by Martha Wainwright. I remember buying an album in the 00s, perhaps her debut? I can't recall without looking into it, which I will not do as it is not relevant to my experience in 2021.

This spring I reviewed the leading single and title track of her new album and it made me instantly curious to hear more. That more is now here and it delivers. Although my recollection of my one album is at best scant, what I do dare to state is that Love Will Be Reborn is a far more solid album. If a genre called singer-songwriter rock has not been invented before, it is now. Martha Wainwright is not afraid to put on the volume of her backing musicians when appropriate.

Drums ring out and electric guitars compete for the front seat of the song. While a solid bass takes care of the deep end of the song. The music on this album moves in the direction of Jeff Buckley's 'Grace'. No, there will never be an album like that ever again that will have the impact 'Grace' had on me, but the complement given just now, is one of the biggest I personally can make, in this genre.

On Love Will Be Reborn Martha Wainwright shows several sides to herself as a musician. In the process showing different sides of herself as a person as well, just like she does in a modest and brazen way on the cover of the album.

In the song 'Sometimes' she recognises that life isn't always a bed of roses, apart from the thorny stems of the flower. "How long does this go on"? "Sometimes, every once in a while, you're bound to break my back", she sings after "love is in the air" and before "I like to fight back". The ups and downs in every relationship. 'Sometimes' is almost a pop song, in a style that would fit the female singer-songwriter hits of the 90s, like Alannah Myles, but especially all the female singers following Alanis Morissette's breakthrough.

Promo photo: Gaëlle Leroyer
Another side of the album are far more complex songs, like 'Rainbow' that follows 'Sometimes'. It is more bare, much darker, before the rocking side of Love Will Be Reborn emerges in full force later on in the song. Showing how divers the album is even within a song. Darker sides or not, the title of the album shows that there's reason for optimism.

The clear production is another point that scores with me. All parts can be heard loud and clear, making the album extremely transparent. Martha Wainwright is the centre piece in her own album of course. With ageing her voice has gotten a slightly rougher quality to it, making her a tougher sounding singer and more convincing. She shares the stage Love Will Be Reborn is with her musicians. Through the mix they all receive their deserved spot in the limelight. Supporting, yet shining as well. It makes listening to the album an even more pleasing experience.

Martha Wainwright, as I wrote, was all but forgotten by me. With Love Will Be Reborn she has placed herself firmly in the middle of my attention once again.

Wout de Natris


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten