woensdag 25 augustus 2021

Don Everly (1937 - 2021) and Brian Travers (1959 - 2021)

Within two days news reached the world of the death of two artists who have nothing in common, except having been very popular artists. The former in a lead role with his brother Phil in The Everly Brothers, the latter as the saxophone player of one of the biggest bands of 80s and 90s, UB40.

Almost everything Don (and Phil) Everly achieved in their musical career was over before I was either born or cognisant of their output. It was all nostalgia, mostly wiped away by the British Invasion of the U.S.A. in 1964. Even today I am still, mostly, of the opinion that the music of The Everly Brothers is music belonging to a past that is over and done with. The sweet-toothed harmonies are music of another age, probably because I did not grow up on the music. This fact does not help of course.

There is another reason I cannot relate to Don as much as to Phil. Singing harmonies in a band that has played a few Everly's hits, I had to be Phil. Rens, the singer, would always be Don. And I just love to sing Phil's parts. Today as a duo with my girl friend in 'Bye Bye Love' or 'Wake Up Little Suzie' and especially in a ballad like 'Let It Be Me' with my former band. We played it twice only, in the two shows we were able to play near Auxerre in France for the party's host, a big Everly's fan. Singing 'Bye Bye Love' at least ten times on a boat in the canals of Leiden, because the singer didn't dare to do much else with the lead guitarist not present, made me remember the lyrics for ever.

With the demise of Don Everly it is not just The Everly Brothers who are no longer among us. The world ought not to forget the duo that wrote many of their hit songs, Felice (Matilda Genevieva Scaduto) and Boudleaux Bryant, who passed away in 2003 and 1987. Without their brilliance in writing what would have become of the career of the two brothers? Many of the duo's songs are far to sugarcoated for me, but that does not take anything away from the fact that their singing is beautiful.

With Don Everly another great from the 1950s rock and roll era, although I would hardly call the Everly's rock and roll, has gone. There are hardly any heroes left. The onslaught in the 60s and 70s pop generations is huge and now musicians of my own generation are leaving this world as well.

Brian Travers was only a little older than I am. He was best known as the red-headed saxophone player of UB40. The band became known to me through it's (first?) single 'Food For Thought'. The central riff of the song is played by Brian Travers, who plays one of the iconic riffs in reggae music. Now like the sugercoated songs of The Everly Brothers, reggae is not my musical style, but UB40 and I went a fairly long way together. Although its albums as a whole tended to be too much for my taste, many of the singles were more than alright. Whether originals or covers, the band became best known for its cover versions of older songs, pop and reggae, it scored a whole host of hits until the mid 90s, after which it was all over. Not where popularity in performing was concerned. The band plays fairly large shows to this day, with at least a part of the original members, now minus one. Travers was always a part of the band from the very beginning until the day of his death of cancer.

If I have to choose, I'd say that the band's second album, 'Present Arms', is my favourite. In my ears it sounds the most original in its approach, less aimed at pleasing a large audience. Some of the singles on 'Rat In The Kitchen' are my favourites there, plus that great first one of course. In The Netherlands the band finally scored a big hit with the live version of 'Food For Thought'. After that there was no holding back, including five number 1 hits, which is a lot more than most artists can point to. By then I'd said goodbye to the band for some time. All the sweet-toothed, sugarcoated to stay in tune here, covers were not to my taste.

Brain Travers to me will always be remembered for that saxophone riff from the band's first single, 'Food For Thought'. It made me buy the single in 1980 and every once in a while I take it out for a spin, always making me dance in my living room.

What makes Travers' demise a little shocking is that we are of the same age. Of course that happened before, but for some reason it hit me a little harder this time. It's not another part my youth that is taken away, like when a childhood musical hero leaves this world, no this is someone from after those years. Someone who broke at an age, when I could have done so, had I had the talent to do so. I can tell you, that makes a difference. Okay, it's time to put on a new record to listen to and judge. Let's party like its whenever, but not without showing respect where it's due to Don Everly and Brian Travers.

Wout de Natris

Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten