woensdag 7 februari 2024

Wall Of Eyes. The Smile

And that was fast. Only in 2022 The Smile released its debut album, toured the world and here in January 2024 the trio releases its new album already. This year it will be eight years since Radiohead, presumed to be the mothership of two members until further notice, released 'A Moon Shaped Pool'. Will there ever be a new album, as the duo Greenwood-Yorke is amusing itself so much with drummer Tom Skinner?

With any record since 'OK Computer' I have asked myself the same question: will I ever fully grasp what I'm hearing? And with some, e.g. 'Kid A', I am still wondering after 24 years whether I even want to grasp it. With Wall Of Eyes things are not really different. Although at first listening the album seems fairly straightforward, after listening more often, I seem to hear more and more into the album.

The first impressions lead to the conclusion that I like Wall Of Eyes. It is an album I will want to own. An important starting point for any album. I like the mystery that is contained within the songs. The way some songs float on the air in my room but like 'Teleharmonic' solidify in front of my ears. This song borders on magic.

The intro is an organ like sound that is treated in serious ways to come at me like the valves of an old, bellow driven organ are all leaking. The drums come in ever so soft, yet present. Yorke's voice is ghostlike. Slowly but surely more sounds come in, including a very driving bass, until finally Tom Skinner changes his pattern and the song comes alive totally. Other instruments join and harmony vocals and what not. 'Teleharmonic' is a, if not the highlight of the album and a feat of competence.

The band takes its time to develop a song. There's nothing under 4.30 minutes on Wall Of Eyes. It obviously explores where an idea can take them, including mood changes, tempi and instruments used. This makes Wall Of Eyes a completely unpredictable album. What's new with Radiohead musicians?, you might ask. Yes, nothing. This could have been, and I wrote this on 'A Light For Attracting Attention' also, a Radiohead album as far as I'm concerned. I understand that with Radiohead every song takes forever to finish and here the trio does not want to work this way. What stops them from demanding this work ethic in Radiohead, I wonder?

Fact is we have two more than just good albums by The Smile in less than two years, so it's hard to complain. In fact I like the two albums better than a few of the Radiohead ones, so it's even better. What is harder to grasp, is that the musicians have moved into their fourth decade as professional musicians. That's another, yet confrontational story though. In the mean time I am going to grasp these new songs better over the coming weeks and months. By then there may be a more final opinion. At this point I deem it impossible to provide you with one.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order Wall Of Eyes here:

https://thesmile.bandcamp.com/album/wall-of-eyes

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten