maandag 26 februari 2024

SPRINTS live with English Teacher. Saturday 24 February 2024 Paradiso Tolhuistuin, Amsterdam

Photo: Wout de Natris
With an album like 'Letter To Self' in the pocket what could go wrong for Dublin's SPRINTS? Of course a lot could, but not with the attitude the band brings to its audience. This band is out to conquer the world and has set its mark on Amsterdam, I'm sure. Everyone present will tell their friends and friends' friends about this band, so they fill Paradiso straight next time.

From literally the very first note the band went for it and song after song set Tolhuistuin on fire. The energy clearly went both ways, with the band totally proud to have sold out its first European show, as if Ireland and the U.K. are not Europe, but o.k. I was part of this experience of SPRINTS.

The music of SPRINTS is called postpunk, most likely just like English Teacher's. I think it's time to stop using it. SPRINTS live is punk. In attitude in, the attack with which they play, the agitation of the singer, the storm coming from her lungs and throat. This girl has opinions and not afraid to share them with her audience. Anger and frustration is shared while at the same time the band has so much fun. The two girls, English Teacher's and SPRINT's singers, went stagediving at the end of the show, while the two bands, who had become great friends on their tour, were both on stage.

Photo: Wout de Natris
English Teacher certainly entertained as well but is not as far as SPRINTS is. I had not heard of the band before, nor its music but I certainly will want to hear its upcoming album, 'This Could Be Texas'. Around me I noticed that many people did know some songs and on average the music was welcomed by the audience. I certainly ended on the positive side. Singer Lily Fontaine is charming with her Afro. I hadn't seen hair like this since the 1970s I think. She can sing and sings with ease. Musically, I went from paying a lot of attention, to somewhat distracted and back. The choice of music the band plays is very varied. One song could have been a Barbra Streisand one! This made the contrast later with SPRINTS a big one. Overall though the band scored on my good side, something not all unknown support acts do.

"I've seen the future of rock and roll", Jon Landau wrote about 50 years ago. I'm not sure about that but with SPRINTS it might be true. With Wolf Alice this band live is one of two best new live acts I've seen in recent years. A closing song like 'Literary Mind' ought to conquer the world all by itself and comes across live even stronger than on record. They simply do not come much better in this genre. Wow!, is the right word.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten