woensdag 10 november 2021

I Want The Door To Open. Lala Lala

Lala Lala did not strike me as an ambitious name for a band or artist, this is my introduction, so somehow, automatically, the associating mind I have led me to thinking the same about the music. Being the kind of guy I am, this didn't stop me from taking a listen. And here you are.

Reading the bio accompanying the record on Bandcamp, Lala Lala has ambition enough. She even reconsidered her whole approach to making music. This is not the same as having made ambitious sounding music in the ear of the beholder. So where am I on this account?

Let's first introduce Lala Lala, as this is her debut on WoNoBlog. Lillie West, from Chicago, is behind the name Lala Lala and releases her third full-length record after 'Sleepyhead' in 2016 and 'The Lamb' in 2018. West was more into indierock at the time and recorded her last record with a trio in the studio.

For I Want To Open The Door she worked with producer Yoni Wolf, co-producing the record together. She also called in many colleagues to work with her, some known to me like Ohmme and many not. So, duets can be heard with several of these artist, giving the album a change of tone regularly. The ultra-short 'Photo Photo' with Ohmme suggests an almost ancient chanting, while 'Plates' is a beautiful duet with Benjamin Gibbard, a song bringing eels to mind. In other songs memories of Aldous Huxley come by.

I must confess that I like the album best when I play it on my stereo. For some it does not matter, but for I Want The Door To Open it certainly does. The subdued sound and soft electronics tend to disappear when played on lesser equipment, making the album far less lively than it in reality is. I read a review in 'Oor' stating that nothing much was happening and I can underscore that, if I'm not paying attention. When I am, a rather rich sound opens itself. The details bringing the songs alive come forward immediately.

On the other hand I do agree with Klaas Knooihuizen. Not all songs on I Want The Door To Open are extremely exciting. But then, must every song be exciting? For some acts perhaps, yes, but not for Lala Lala. She goes for the overall mood and succeeds in getting this across.

She presents a kind of motto for the album: "To fall in love with the rock". The rock being Sisyphus' rock, he had to push up the mountain every day. The rock is a metaphor for life itself, says Lillie West. Acceptation of life, of yourself and all that comes with it. Achieve this and everything opens itself for you, freedom, options, possibilities. 'Diver' is the exponent of all this insight.

Listening to the way I Want The Door To Open presents itself, Lillie West has not limited herself in any way and presents herself exactly as she intended. As such it is not unique. Lala Lala falls into line with many female artists that have come by on this blog in recent years. However, the way she mixes the alternative, with the electronics and extrovert with introvert results in an album that sticks out, not unlike Ohmme's recent record did and e.g. Midnight Sister's, all records that, for me, do the extra mile.

Only because I Want The Door To Open comes behind records like these, it makes it less special, as the two mentioned just now opened my ears to something new. A new pathway Lala Lala could sail right up without much opposition.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten