donderdag 4 november 2021

Singles week 44

Week 44, time for some more recently released singles, in which I notice, once again, how good some of our, i.e. The Netherlands, alternative rock bands are. Just listen to Private Banking to find out what I mean.

Private Banking EP. Private Banking

Ruben van Weegberg was the bass player in two alternative/indie rock bands of the past seven years that have both folded already, Palio Super Speed Donkey and Canshaker Pi. Now he is back with his own band, Private Banking. In the title song a supertight rhythm is maintained over which a monotonous way of singing is presented. Whatever late 70s bands are mentioned as inspirations, this is The Velvet Underground territory. 'Waiting For My Man' rhythm and singing. In other words Private Banking goes for hypnotic music and when it works, it works. It took me about 30 seconds and I was in. And remained in, as the songs that follow all have their pleasant moments. Not that the music is easy to follow, each song has an edge, little thorny sides to avoid, but each song in its outset is a great alternative/indie rock song. Van Weegberg made the record together with Doortje Hiddema (Euroboy) and a drumcomputer from the 80s, and sounding like it. Private Banking's first EP has totally succeeded. Van Weegbree is in direct competition with Willem Smit from now on and may go for Global Charming's status if he continues like this. The Netherlands and alternative rock? Do I have to keep repeating myself. We are setting the world standard today (and yesterday).

Piglet. Pom

Pom's singles have all come by so far on WoNoBlog and Piglet is no exception. Piglet is an exuberant kind of single. It bounces, chaves the knees and clears the head. The sound is dirty, as if all the instruments come from the next room, while the singing is recorded by a broken device. It only brings the power of the song closer to me. With Piglet Pom puts itself closer to a band like EUT. The pop element shimmers through the punkrock the band plays. The combination works really, really well in this new song. Besides the obvious quality it all has to do with the great riff that slides through the song like a snake in the grass. Everything I hear, except the drums and a rhythm guitar deeper in the mix, all sounds are manipulated by some effect or other, making the song stand out a little more. What an energy has been caught on tape here or in bites of course.

Tomorrow Same Time. Eelke

The change in musical scenery cannot be a lot bigger than between Piglet and Eelke's new single. The Dutch singer-songwriter presents his latest single in the style of Billy Joel without a piano as its basis. The song is soft, tells a story, full of nostalgia about a hometown where most people have left for work or love or study I could add from personal experience. The song progresses ever so slowly but heartfelt and warm. The thoughts of what went before and what has passed, leaving the last one standing. When you become older you know that some friendships do not remain, they just fade for several reasons. Eelke is just starting to realise this, at least I think so based on this song. Being friends is hard work, especially when you grow apart, for whatever reason. All these ideas are caught with taste in Eelke's new single. A soft song with a little edge in the form of the electric guitar underscoring the pain of being left behind. Tomorrow Same Time is a song made in great taste.

Man-Made War. Mountaineer

Marcel Hulst has two bands, Maggie Brown and Mountaineer, which is more of a solo project. 2022 will be a Mountaineer year. If there is a difference between the two bands, I would say that Mountaineer is softer, lighter with slightly more focus on his voice. Where the quality of songwriting is concerned, I have a hard time choosing, I find. Man-Made War is a song that flashes out more than ever before. No matter how soft the song is in the outset, it has a solid body. The drumming is soft, with brushes is my guess, but tight, giving the song its solid form. The background vocals turning into harmonies are exquisite, there's no other word for it. On top of it all, is a trumpet giving the song something extra. I will not go as far and say it tops the mariachi trumpets in TMGS' 'Tell Everyone', but the effect is absolutely the same. It gives the song a third layer of warmth, as this is the word that presents itself most when listening to Man-Made War. In my universe this song is a potential number 1 hit. A few more months and the whole album 'Lewis and Clarke' will be there. Patience, patience.

Mockingbird Love. Robin Guthrie

Several decades ago Robin Guthrie played in a band that I couldn't listen to for more than a few seconds. That's nothing to be ashamed about. Dozens of bands from the 1980s befell this fate. I wanted to hear Pink Floyd and David Bowie and The Rolling Stones and even they stopped making good records the longer the 1980s lasted. Now, until very recently I had never heard the name Robin Guthrie until the EP landed in my email box. Although the music is almost non-existant, the atmosphere on Mockingbird Love is beautiful. Long-held synth notes in the background set the mood, while the melody slowly plays itself out on a piano. Subdued, soft, non-obtrusive. Robin Guthrie is present but if I was not paying attention to his songs they would have passed without me noticing their presence. To my ears this is Kairos material. In fact I dare to say that without training my ears on an almost monthly bases on Wino's radio show on Concertzender, I would have appreciated Mockingbird Love a lot less. I will be surprised though if I do not hear 'My Courtesan' on Kairos one of these months. This song holds it all, in short Mockingbird Love contains beautiful soft. meditative music.

Wout de Natris

 

 


 

 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten