zondag 8 mei 2022

Super Sister Project live. Paard, Den Haag, Friday 6 May 2022

Photo: Wout de Natris
It had to happen at some point: the first live show since Saturday 7 March 2020! This show should have happened in the fall of last year, but bandleader Robert Jan Stips caught Covid so was not allowed to play. Honestly, the number of infections were climbing so alarmingly, the question was justified whether it would have been safe to go.

Supersister is a band from before my time. The alternative rock that the band played was not something that came by a lot on my radio. 'She Was Naked' was on a compilation record I got somewhere in the early 70s ranging as wide as 'Sound Of The Screaming Day' to Hue and the Hilltops and 'Seasons' to Supersister. The latter two tracks were my absolute favourites on the album. Also the band's second hit single did not make an impression on me when it was in the charts. So that was about it. Until in the early 00s I bought a compilation album on cd. I played it just about once, I think. This was so far removed from what I truly liked at the time.

Enter the summer of 2021. Covid was everywhere for over a year. In 2020, when music and live shows totally grounded to halt, my girlfriend and I decided to entertain our neighbours from our front garden. with the neighbours all around the street and houses, socially distancing. We've met with one of them, Léon, a drummer. Percussionist of The Analogues, formerly of Sweet d'Buster, Powerplay. Where Karen and I played more than ever before, Léon had to find a job, as his musical life had totally stopped. The street party, 'Neighbours Day' in 2020 was cancelled but in 2021 was not. Léon filled in for our absent drummer. We practised twice and played two oh so nice sets together.

Shortly after he told me he was going to do a tour with Super Sister Project, so the band decided to go together as a band outing. Time for me to bring out the compilation album alright. It turned out that 2021 was the year to turn me on to the music of Supersister. All of a sudden I heard Frank Zappa, those brilliant rhythmic interludes and solos. I heard the hard rocking side of the band, like Jon Lord's organ. I even heard the 'Barbapapa' tune in 'Radio'. A lot of things fell into place.

Photo: Wout de Natris
So here I was in Het Paard looking at a stage filled with huge desk lamps like we all had in the 70s with the springlike shape. Filled with modern lamps for sure. On stage Robert Jan Stips, as band leader and only remaining, active member of Supersister, Rinus Gerritsen, bass player of Golden Earring and Léon Klaasse. The music? Totally, hopelessly outdated, yet brought with so much enthusiasm and class that it effortlessly jumped over the 50 years plus since it was released. In fact, my advice is to record and release the recreation of the officially non-recorded demos of old, as it is fantastic music.

The three musicians each played fantastic, not flawless. The interaction between the three was great to watch. Always looking for clues and cues. To play this kind of music all three musicians had to be on their toes for every second of the show - and were. Time signatures, tempo, even chord patterns can change multiple times, during one song. It's one of the first times I saw a bass player play with a capo but to change it during a song? And having to do so frantically to keep up!? Here were three men at work alright.

A highlight? Of course, it's easy to mention the lead bass guitar in ''She Was Naked', as it's one of the most iconic parts of Dutch rock music. It comes closer to the truth that the whole show was one big highlight. From soft, beautiful ballads, to jazz rock to symphonic rock, it all came by and some of it to dance to as well. I was surprised no little. This show was so good. The surprise was double, as I did not really know what to expect. We went to see our neighbour. Without Léon, I would never have been there and would I have missed some show!

With some rock history stories told by Stips during the show while introducing the songs, told with charming eloquence, the show was interesting at several levels. And to be able to speak a few words with Rinus Gerritsen after the show? What can I say!

To return to where I sort of started, after this show I truly appreciate having played with Léon Klaasse last summer. But like he said at the time: "We are going to have fun and play music". And we did. If one thing showed last night, it was the fun the three in Super Sister Project have, playing this music together.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten