zaterdag 13 februari 2021

Wammo. Bailter Space

In the fall of 2020 Excelsior Records celebrated the 25th anniversary of 'Benjamin B', a great alternative rock album by the band of the same name, at the time only released on cassette. In the winter of 2021 Flying Nun Records does the same for Wammo, Bailter Space's album from 1995.

I can own up directly. in 1995 had not heard of either band nor album, although I do have two later albums by Benjamin B. Recently I was introduced to Wammo and decided to write a little on the album. Reading about Bailter Space, I find out that the band is from Christchurch in New Zealand and started in 1987, before settling into the line up: Alister Parker, John Halvorson and Brent McLachlan. At some point the band earned the moniker Sonic Youth of the Southern Hemisphere and was recognised as playing the loudest.

But what am I hearing as a novice listener in 2021? At the time I never got into Sonic Youth nor The Pixies and since have never caught up. Listening with ears that have moved actively through the Britpop era, I can't help but noticing some Oasis influences in the melodic songs on Wammo. They certainly have a wilder, perhaps even a more dangerous streak than Oasis had in its songs. I can't judge about lifestyle. All comparisons go when Bailter Space unleashes the inner beast and go for loud, mildly structured songs, with noise and feedback drowning out the singing. I can hear that the band is going for it 120% but this simply isn't my music. Funny to hear is how abruptly 'At Five We Drive' is faded out. Was there no room left on side A? I get that impression somehow.

With 'Zapped' Wammo gets a third influence thrown in. In the singing The Stone Roses become present, while the music slowly but surely becomes as wild as in 'At Five We Drive'. At the same time there are 60s influences of bands that thanks to psychedelic drugs let it all go and without inhibitions let their deep innerself loose in the studio without thinking of song structures any longer. Bailter Space does keep an eye on the song and its structure, that neatly clocks in a decent time.

Photo: Jono Rotman
The sheer volume of Wammo almost makes me forget I'm listening to a trio, guitar, bass, drums. There may be a guitar overdub here and there, the effect of the trio is huge. I find I'm fascinated by the mix of music Bailter Space presents. From music without compromise to melodic pop, hidden under a wall of noise. B side opener 'Retro' is another such an alternative pop song where Oasis finds Buffalo Tom and loud even wild playing. A clear sign that Bailter Space masters both styles of playing music.

Now people loving nice pop records better brace themselves before listening to Wammo but a fact is the records holds pop elements within it. The noise wins out though, easily, two fingers in the nose. The combination makes the album interesting and in parts even good. As I already wrote, not all of this album was made with my taste in mind and luckily so. Exploring the outer avenues of alternative rock to me is a lot of fun as well.

Of course at some point, in 'D-Thing', The Velvet Underground rears its ugly head. The drumming style is in the image of Mo Tucker, the way the drums are pounded, the sheer force of it and that extremely dry snare sound is something Mrs. Tucker could only dream of. Somehow it immediately makes it the highlight of Wammo for me. And even then that pop element shows in the vocal melody changes here and there.

Winding up, I conclude that the re-releasing Wammo was the right decision to make. It's an album that deserves a re-appreciation in 2021. 25 years and a little later.

Wo.

You can listen to and order Wammo here:

https://bailterspace.bandcamp.com/album/wammo


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten