maandag 7 oktober 2019

The Analogues live. Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Saturday 5 October 2019

Photo Wo.
Can one ever write enough about 'Abbey Road'? Probably not. To me this album will always remain The Beatles' finest, with arguably the best b-side ever recorded. Where lots of albums used to peter out in those days, The Beatles kept its very best to the, almost, very end. The diversity, the quality and audacity were unparalleled at the time and unsurpassed since. It opened the world for other musicians to try and go boldly where no pop musician had gone before and many tried and succeeded in their way. I have tried to gather my thoughts on 'Abbey Road' on this blog some years ago. Undoubtedly I would write something different today as I seem to hear even more in the music today than I used to it seems. (Read on here: http://wonomagazine.blogspot.com/2016/04/abbey-road-beatles.html) I bought the album in the winter of 1978 on my first real salary and never stopped listening since.

It is true that The Beatles did fade away a bit. I knew how good they were and I somehow stopped listening to all other albums because of that thought. It goes for most of my favourites of old. There is a second reason. There was nothing new released since 1970 to trigger feelings of old.

Enter The Analogues. Having seen them at DWDD early winter 2016, I have gone to every show since. 'Magical Mystery Tour', 'Sgt. Peppers ...', 'The Beatles' and now 'Abbey Road'. Abbey Road, the end of the line for The Analogues, having missed its 'Revolver' show. As was shown in a clip before the show started, the band grew from playing for 150 people to a sold out Ziggo Dome in just four years. These are The Beatles like proportions in growth and quality. From a band to a factory/business and options to tour the world if they chose to do so.

What The Analogues foremost did to me, is restore my appreciation of The Beatles. I ignore all the early albums but from 'Rubber Soul' onwards the records are again played regularly in the home and I can truly say that my first love in music at the age of 6 or something has that top position once again. Overall there is no better band. The difference is my move from the hitsingles I knew at the time to the albums.

Photo's do not get better, Wo.
So 'Abbey Road'. No beating around the bush this time. The very first notes played were from 'Come Together', that song I did not like at all in 1969 and now think is so great. The sound so crystal clear all the different little parts of the song can be heard in the Ziggo Dome. Of course it's too far away, but the sound is superb. The beautiful 'Something' got a stellar performance. An anvil was driven on stage by percussionist Lean Klaasse to be hammered on during 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer'. Merijn van Haren, Navarone's singer, featured in McCartney's 'Oh, Darling'. Jan van der Mey was able to return for 'I Want You (She's So Heavy)' with specially designed headphones. This jam like song came across so strong. Kicking up a storm, literally, with the Moog, just twiddling knobs while the guitars and drums grow ever stronger.

The waiting was of course for just after the start of "side 2". 'Here Comes The Sun' is of course one of George Harrison's finest, but it is with 'Beacuse', John Lennon's reworking of the 'Moonshine Sonata' by Ludwig von Beethoven, that Lennon really went after the great. Listening to that song is hearing a little peace of heaven. The Analogues are able to not only recreated of relive the music. For me it is also the harmonies that make this band great. As a whole it sounds so good. That, for me, is the greatest compliment I can give these musicians who have dedicated years of their lives to created something that never existed as they present it. Side 2 of 'Abbey Road' was the result of many takes, hard work and snippets of music that were left behind, all reworked into one. The Beatles and all working with them at the time had only heard the end result on tape. Thanks to The Analogues we hear it on stage with all the original sounds from a (not the) original instrument.

'Because' is the starting point of many songs weaving in and out of each other, a theme that returns, two great medleys. As I already wrote, probably the best b-side ever released. The whole side is one big highlight of divine ballads, harsh rockers, golden pop and brilliance. Nothing brings the whole down. Each next song building on the previous. The Analogues serve it all up in a way The Beatles were never able to do. To do so there are countless people on stage, not to speak of everybody around the stage making sure everything works. As I said, The Analogues has become big business. Luckily the band have an expert manager in its midst who made it all possible in the first place.

With the short funny, 'Her Majesty' it was all over, where 'Abbey Road' is concerned. In the second set many a favourite and surprise came by from the four other albums and a few hitsingles. There are still a few famous b-sides I haven't heard yet, 'Old Brown Shoe' or 'Don't Let Me Down'. I had hoped to hear them as they are from just before the 'Abbey Road' sessions. It doesn't matter. I left the huge cube totally satisfied and The Beatles' music resonating and rejoicing in every fibre of my body. What I noticed is how deeply touched I was by 'Penny Lane'. Why? Just extreme beauty, I suppose.

"And in the end/The love you take/is equal to the love/you make". The 17.000 in the Ziggo Dome received the love of the best music and for some in our midst just in time seeing with how much difficulty the stairs were literally conquered, the love sent back was just as large, undoubtedly warming the hearts of all on stage. The Analogues may simply be the best band in this world a this point in time, thanks to the music of John, Paul, George, Ringo and George Martin.

With the 'Abbey Road' album The Analogues have come to the end of their mission. Well not completely, the next show has already been announced: "Hello Goodbye 1966 - 1970". Two dates in the Ziggo Dome coming September. It sounds like something final, that Goodbye. Go and see them while you still can.

Wo.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten