vrijdag 29 april 2022

HX. Moss

The feedback starting HX makes me think of another song. I can't get my head around which one. It is inconsequential as Moss returns to this blog with a glorious album. The band is in great form and not afraid to share it with the world.

Somehow I am having two thoughts. The first one is that Moss it not fully itself. The music gets close to what Blaudzun has presented in the past 10 years. Which is fine by me, as I've become a true Blaudzun fan in the past decade. The result is that Moss sounds a bit more slick than in the past. Remaining rough edges are all polished away.

My second thought is that Marien Dorleijn c.s. have reached a great creative peak. Just listen to the second song, 'Before It's Gone'. The way the bass carries the song is a great find, the pop melody does it all, with the nice guitar riff as an extra. There's something Belgian about the song. I have the same feeling when listening to 'Everything You Do Is Right'. A Brand was able to sound this suave and get away with it. So does Moss. 'Before It's Gone' is one of its finest songs ever. This should be a banger in a live setting.

Rhythmically HX is very strong. It's so tight at times, that I can not help thinking this is inhuman. Take a listen to 'Around' or 'Supercali' to find where my perception stems from. 'Around' however is another very strong song that Moss shares with the world. The little organ melody is a feature making the song stand out.

Photo: Nick Helderman
Moss is on the verge or celebrating its 20th anniversary. I still don't know whether I saw Moss or Do the Do supporting Johan a long time ago. Of the latter I've never heard again. Moss I've seen several times and always it was an intense affair. The live show of the band is about making serious music and all about serious listening in return. Already I'm looking forward to the next one. In those 19 years the band has released six albums. Not a huge number, but there's not a miss among the six, to which HX is not an exception.

The album contains serious music for serious listeners. With that Moss sticks to its guns and adds another bunch of great songs to its oeuvre. From alternative rockers, some with a great pop feel like 'Supercali', to atmospheric ballads, it's all there. Although HX leads to having two trains of thought, both lead to the same conclusion: great album!

There's only one thing that spooks me a little where HX is concerned. To call the final song on the album 'Goodbye', sounds like a premonition to me. Doesn't it? For now, let's concentrate on the good things, HX's 12 songs.

Wout de Natris


You can order HX on Excelsior's homepage:

https://excelsior-recordings.com/products/moss-hx

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten