It is unfair to compare Jack White with The Roling Stones. For that his standing is not big enough. At the same time Jack White has a career that nearly encompasses 30 years and with The White Stripes he was able to fill the bigger venues at some point in the 00s. After a few more difficult albums after breaking up with Meg White, I had lost track of his career, until a single earlier this year showed me that White might be back on track for a great album.
Listening to the album right now I can only admit that yes, Jack White is back in a great form and there he matches 'Foreign Tongues' completely. The fun, enthusiasm, energy and songs are all there. The difference is in the fact that his music does not truly reach me, a few songs excluded. Recently, I asked myself when I last played a The White Stripes album, and I could not provide an answer. I have them all, so that is not the issue. So, to protect my wallet, I will not buy Frozen Charlotte.
Having said that, the album is good, as Jack White and the musicians make sparks fly in the familiar over-distorted bluesrock Jack White excels in. So, don't let my reticence keep you from getting familiar with Frozen Charlotte or even doing something as old-fashioned as buying it.
Wout de Natris - van der Borght
You can listen to and order Frozen Charlotte here:
https://officialjackwhite.bandcamp.com/album/frozen-charlotte

No comments:
Post a Comment