zaterdag 4 december 2021

The Spirit Of Age. The Visual

More and more bands come out of Amsterdam it seems and there is a clear link with the conservatory there as well. The Visual's two founding members studied and met each other there, to decide that collaborating was the future. This resulted in an EP in 2019, 'Moments of Being' and this October in the second album, The Spirit Of Age.

Last weekend I wrote on 'Older', the debut EP of Loupe, formerly Dakota. Something I would not have mentioned, had The Spirit Of Age not have that same sort of dreamy quality. The songs of the album also go beyond Loupe's songs. It's not often that a song brings me back to 'Grace', Jeff Buckley's only album. But if I ever heard a song that could have been an integral part of 'Grace' without sticking out, it is 'I Want You'. The song has it all and not just a little. That mystery, the extra emphasis on a bass note melody during a chord change, the floating way of singing. All except the vocal range of Saint Jeff.

It took me exactly two listen sessions to get hooked on The Spirit Of Age. I stand corrected, as I didn't hear anything in the first. Yes, this may sound familiar, but here the music didn't reach me in any way. The second time it did. What caught me first, was the mystery surrounding the music. The tones that have this floating quality, as if a fog was hanging between me and the source of the music. If only I would listen harder it would get to me better and more audible.

The mystery remains up to today though. It is an important quality of The Visual's music. The synth sounds underneath it all are like a soft, high rug to lay on, while the guitar is able to underscore these mythical experiences and stand out. I can't help thinking that Anna van Rij studied with the same teacher as Loupe's Jasmine van der Waals. Both excel at ethereal sounds coming from guitar, fingers, effect pedal(s) and amp. The main difference is that Van Rij is fully supported by keyboardist Timon Persoon, who adds all these atmospherics. Someone is playing bass as well and let me not forget drummer Mischa Porte, who contributes in two ways. The first the obvious one for a drummer, the second by being totally absent when the music demands it.

The Visual does not shy away from expanding its songs. The shortest song clocks in at 3'33, the longest a little over 7 minutes. Adventure is sought and found. Huge expansions of a song like 'Offering Shadows' propels it into the stratosphere, to be taken back to a bare minimum immediately when 'Hanging On' starts. Here's another example of Van Oosten's impact on a song. Believe me, the effect is great.

Listening to the final song, 'Faces', I can't help but thinking of Led Zeppelin. Not the bluesrock monster, no, the mystical songs the band was so good at as well, with 'Kashmir' on top of that mountain. The Visual is able to create this kind of atmosphere on its album and if you can do that successfully, you're a great band. Things can be this simple sometimes.

Let me end by mentioning the impressive voice of Anna van Rij. She has a few shades to her voice and she uses them optimally, creating enormous warmth and detachment, intimacy and aloofness, emotions and coolness. You will find it all on The Spirit Of Age. I can not exclude that this is an album that, given half the chance, will grow and grow.

Wout de Natris

1 opmerking:

  1. Singer/guitarist Anna van Rij indicated that Django Trienes also played guitar on the album. Credits are given where they are due.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen