woensdag 24 juni 2020

To Love Is To Live. Jehnny Beth

Reading up on my post on Savages' last album 'Adore Life', I notice the ambivalence I have with the album, just like I had with the debute album of the band. Both albums fell into the background of my daily music routines. Almost certain I can predict the same will happen with To Love Is To Live. Great title though as I can certainly testify for it.

But just like the two Savage's albums, I have to admit that Jehnny Beth's first solo album intrigues me. She decided to explore her music down all sorts of highways, byways, lanes and alleys. She's not afraid to experiment and present very different sides to her writing and producing of music.

The result is so diverse. Rough, musical explosions, without a nice melody in earshot or electronic noise can be followed by a soft piano ballad. Her voice can either be soft and (almost) pure or slowed down as if a inebriated man, trying to sing a song, in vain and a lot in between. The result is that To Love Is To Live is a musical adventure and adventures are not to be taken lightly. One can get lost or worse. Fact is, it is quite easy to get lost on this album. It's not an easy album, it doesn't aim to please. Jehnny Beth chose to be fully confrontational and by way of an exception purr like a cat on your lap, only to claw her nails into your thigh quite soon.

It may be that if I invest more time on To Love Is To Live a full relationship starts blooming but even after several listening session I am still not sure whether I dare to come closer. The album is as tough as Jehnny Beth presents herself on the cover of the album. Take 'How Could You'. It's a song that is so rough and on edge. It's clear she is severely mad at someone, but do I want to listen to the rage? 'The French Countryside' shows a different side once again. Soft, piano, atmosphere. This album is a musical version of Mr. Jeckell and Dr. Hyde. So extreme is the music on it.

What To Love Is To Live shows is the many sides to Jehnny Beth. Musically she is able to show sides that Savages could never show. Whether the band is a past station or will come together again, I do not know. As I wrote, I'm intrigued by this album. Jehnny Beth sure made me curious with everything going on on her new album. Is it enough? I'm still in doubt after all these listening session, but not without me sharing my thoughts with you and that is telling you something.

Wo.

Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten