dinsdag 3 januari 2023

The top 10 live shows of 2022

Yes, and finally: live shows!!!!! Although with 28 acts in one year I have a 2800% advantage over many people, there have been years in which I saw so much more. With the 28 I also count an Ethiopian radio orchestra at an official reception, Wolter Kroes at a large, official party, the band of one of my young neighbours, the local festival at the location where we practice, etc. There are a few shows that for the life of me, I have no recollection of whatsoever. You will not find them here.

 The most surprising act here is Marlon Williams. I went to see Reb Fountain, who was fantastic but it was Marlon Williams who blew me away. A memorable two days it were 13 and 14 November. Four shows within 36 hours and the one even better that the other. It is however a radiating, then, pregnant woman from Switzerland via Berlin who tops this chart. I don't think I've ever seen someone so happy on stage. This is what made the most impression on me in 2022. Here is the rest.


10. Marathon, Patronaat 8 October

A strong set by a new band that at the time only released one single. A promise for 2023.

9. Donna Blue, Patronaat 29 May

Reverb sounded all through the Patronaat café. Donna Blue is still getter better, a lot.

8.  Cari Cari, Bitterzoet 14 November

Enthusiasm and the songs to match it. Cari Cari is almost a trio these days, on stage, but still very good.

7. Supersister Project 2022, Paard 6 May

Stips, Gerritsen, Klaassen form a great trio bringing the music from around 1970 fully alive. Such an impressive level of musicianship.

6. Elenne May, Living Room Haarlem, 3 September

Theatre show 'Velvet Beings' came alive. We could hear pin drops in our living room as the story unfolded.

5. Midnight Oil, Tivoli Vredenburg, 2 July

A final goodbye to Midnight Oil. At 70 these men are still so full of energy, while the songs will never fade.

4. Reb Fountain, Paradiso 13 November

The New Zealand singer totally convinces live just like her two records do. Like a sorceress she spellbound her audience and captured it by the song.

3. Mountaineer, Living Room Haarlem, 13 November

With album 'Lewis & Clark' in the pocket, the band played a beautiful and intimate set making everyone present a happier person.

2. Marlon Williams, Paradiso 13 November

Not expecting anything I was blown away from the very first second. Marlon Williams is a natural entertainer.

Photo: Wout de Natris

1. Sophie Hunger, Tolhuistuin 25 June

Sophie Hunger played just as good as always but added herself to the mix and came out even better. I doubt whether I will ever see her this good again.

 

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten