woensdag 18 januari 2023

Imagine I Was This Tall. Garlands

It is sad to say but the following actually happened to me. I listened to Imagine I Was This Tall for the first time and thought: 'okay, nice'. With the band Garlands and the solo work of Gordon Harrow of the past half decade in mind, it turns out that consistent quality leads to this initial reaction suggesting averageness. Beware folks, Imagine I Was This Tall is all but average!

After the string of lockdown singles things went silent as far as Garlands was concerned. Until the late fall of 2022 when the first new single announcing a new album was released. Into my umpteenth listening session it is easy to conclude that Garlands delivers the goods with Imagine I Was This Tall. Its songs in the alternative pop-rock segment sparkle and catch the ear with ease. The fun of making and playing these songs translates into an infectuous desire to listen more and more.

Garlands is a trio from Glasgow with Gordon Harrow on guitar and voice, Darren Mackay on bass and Stef Blair on drums. Together they create a powerful sound that lets the pop elements ooze out in abundance. If I have to compare it is only Supergrass on its first four albums. Leave out the element of mischief that always surrounded the U.K. band. Garlands is more serious but its music has the same effect on me. Joy, pleasure and smiles all around.

In my opinion it does not make sense to lift out one or two songs as an example. They all have the same effect on me. One may have a small streak of 60s, think The Beatles, The Kinks, harmony vocals, while other may reference Britpop more or U.S. 1980s rock bands. When all is said and done this is Garlands with ten new, sparkling songs. Each and every one stands out on its own.

More words are not needed, really. Imagine I Was This Tall is an album that deserves to be picked up by everybody who loves alternative pop-rock. Garlands deserves to become a household name.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and buy Imagine I Was This Tall here:

https://garlands-glasgow.bandcamp.com/album/imagine-i-was-this-tall

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten