woensdag 25 januari 2023

Gigi's Recovery. The Murder Capital

It's pre-Covid that I bought the debut cd of The Murder Capital. Where colleagues bands like Fontaines DC, Shame, etc., released albums in a faster tempo, The Murder Capital rode out the pandemic and waited. It's sophomore album is finally there in 2023.

Just like 'When I Have Fears', Gigi's Recovery is not the easiest of albums to digest. After a while I laid the former album aside. When all was said and done I had heard the album enough but not in the sense that I do not want to hear the new one. After several listening sessions I have the same sense of attraction and repulsion and back again. I have the same with all the albums of the new post punk bands from the U.K. and Ireland, with the exception of Shame's debut. (The first post punk wave of circa 1980, I still can't listen to. The new bands do really well in other words.)

Gigi's Recovery starts so strong. 'Crying' and 'Return My Head' are fantastic rock songs. There's no other word for it. They rock, are full of energy and singer James McGovern is in great form, singing to the best of his abilities. From there on the mood changes and the tempo disappears. To enjoy the album becomes "work". In general that "work" is more than worth it. The Murder Capital has grown and the time between the two albums has resulted in better music and a widened vision on its music, with the band having acquired the ability to show all this in its songs.

Promo photo
The way 'Ethel' is built up shows this strength and musical knowledge and prowess. A true musical orgy is sprinkled over the listener. Starting from nearly scratch energy is slowly but surely poured into the song, in totally convincing way. Yes, this trick is repeated a few times over the album. Adding it all up it spell growth. Gigi's Recovery all but counts it out for the listener.

Admittedly, I am not 100% convinced yet. The album is new and 'When I Have Fears' disappeared from my view after some time. Gigi's Recovery will have to prove its metal to me but the odds so far are stacked in its favour. The songs simply are better. This band knows what it's doing. In 2019 it knew what it was trying to achieve.

It is 2023 and The Murder Capital has claimed its spot in the post-post punk subset of music and succeeds gloriously, it seems.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order Gigi's Recovery here:

https://themurdercapital.bandcamp.com/album/gigis-recovery

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten