vrijdag 17 maart 2023

I Am The River, The River Is Me. Jen Cloher

My first introduction to I Am The River, The River Is Me was not by listening to it. No, it was reading Erwin Zijleman's review a few days ago. He seems to have received one of the musical scares of his lives when listening to Jen Cloher's new album.

For me 'Jen Cloher', her eponymous previous album from 2017, was an alternative (punk)rocker that was a great introduction for me to the Australian singer. Six years later she has changed totally, a complete makeover and the album went down so well with me from the very first seconds. It is not so much the songs that have changed. This could have been a full set alternative (punk)rockers. Jen Cloher decided to present them in a totally differently way. What she proves, beyond doubt, is that a good song is a good song. And she can write, sing, play and record them. I Am The River, The River Is Me is totally impressive.

Six years between two albums is a long time and she took the time out to explore other sides to her musicianship. As an outsider it is impossible nor necessary to know what led to the change in approach. The break up with Courtney Barnett leading her to less associated music? The forced rest during the pandemic? Searching for her roots? See the Maori language she uses on this album. Whatever the cause, I Am The River, The River Is Me is totally impressive. I can't stress that point enough.

Not that rock has gone completely from Jen Cloher's music. It is played far more sparingly, making it more of a surprise when it makes an entrance. A tougher guitar may enter a song or a tougher song like 'Being Human' upsets the apple cart a little with its wild approach. Haka style singing/shouting and all in the background going on as well. 'Being Human' is a cross breed between The Velvet Underground and The Stooges while being, besides human, in total control.

With the single 'Mana Takatãpui' Jen Cloher had already given a shot across the bow. It was totally different, yet I concluded late last year that the song "is impossible not to like". I easily stand by these words and extend them to the whole of I Am The River, The River Is Me. The mood she introduced me to with the single, is a part of this album. Not so much a Jack Johnson rhythm but the relaxed feel that oozes out of it. Jen Cloher's version of a Hawaiian surf and hammock dream is submerging in a river and letting it take her where it goes, cradled and carried by the slow but sure stream.

Back in 2017 I already concluded Jen Cloher is the better artist of the, then, partners. She is so much more original and I Am The River, The River Is Me is the proof of point. Music is not a competition. It is there to be enjoyed by those who like it. From the smallest of songs, 'Protest Song' to the more present songs, each one gets the treatment it needs to step forward and shine. It makes for a varied and consistently good album. Oh, yes, did I tell you I Am The River, The River Is Me is totally impressive?

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order I Am The River, The River Is Me here:

https://jencloher.bandcamp.com/

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten