donderdag 2 maart 2023

Honeycomb Shades. Robin Kester

Yesterday I read on Twitter something like "Everybody has already said what a brilliant album Honeycomb Shades is, so what can I add"? I have to agree here but add that I want to express what I think of the album.

Until a few weeks ago I had never heard of Robin Kester. First I read she will tour The Netherlands as a double bill with Amber Arcades around the turn to spring, which is supporting its new album, 'Barefoot On Diamond Road'. Next I read how perfect a match this combination will be. Finally, I heard a single that found its way to this blog and now here's the album. Robin Kester in the meantime is everywhere it seems. In my newspaper, in Oor and online. The release of Honeycomb Shades is an event.

Take a step back and I see a singer releasing her first album at the age of 34, leaving me wondering where she was in all these years before, as Honeycomb Shades is good. She explains it all in the interviews I've read, so let's focus on the music.

There's one obvious link that presents itself. Kester worked with Moss' Marien Dorleyn as co-producer. In some of the songs the link is so obvious, especially because of the bass sound, that it is as if Moss has a new singer. I'm a Moss fan, so I'm just fine here. 'Leave Now' is such a song. It has that subtle but unmistakable drive forward. There's no stopping Robin Kester here, despite the subtle level the music is played at.

Overall, Honeycomb Shades is an album to listen to. There are so many levels, sounds, extra melodies and what not woven into the songs. I would not be surprised if I discover a new sound years from now. Like I sometimes still do in some of The Beatles' songs. The soft pop is a veritable orb filled with atmosphere. Play this album in the right way and it will cover you completely, make you part of it. Truly listening pays off in many ways.

The more I've listened to Honeycomb Shades the more I understand the reference to the right combination with Amber Arcades. The question to be answered at the end of the year, is, which album is better? That may become a tough one. The live shows certainly will be an event to be present at, even become decisive here?

Robin Kester plays a very modern pop with many references to the past. From French sigh girls and Serge Gainsbourg, thus the Air style bass sound to Moss and Amber Arcades well into this century. Elements of it all comes by. Alternative enough to be credible, electronic enough to be modern and pop enough to find a song on the radio, I hope. A star ought to be born, is my opinion, if she holds herself on stage. That question will be answered soon. See you in Haarlem.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order Honeycomb Shades here:

https://robinkester.bandcamp.com/album/honeycomb-shades

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten