donderdag 17 september 2020

Mammal Hands and Nordmann

Recently two instrumental CDs were found in my letterbox. Usually I find that I'm not really one for instrumental music. When all is said and done, I like a song to sing along to. To be able to do that lyrics, usually, are important, just like a good chorus. Instrumental records have none of the above. They can have strong melodies or be memorable for other reasons, like e.g. Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells'. I know, ancient history almost, but still perhaps the single best example I can provide.

To come back to the two CDs. I found that I like listening to both, so I'm presenting a few words on each, so that both records and bands get some attention and perhaps a few more people will be drawn to the records. The records are called 'Captured Spirits' by the U.K. band Mammal Hands and 'In Velvet' by the Belgian band Nordmann. Both records and bands received the description jazz in the bio accompanying the record. Well, if this is called jazz already, than who knows what else lies in store for me in the future. Usually when hearing jazz or the 70s variation jazz rock is enough to give me small red and extremely irritatingly itchy red bumps. Not so with these two records. To me its music with different influences but enough to be called something between pop, ballads and soft rock.

Nordmann is the rougher of the two band. More experimental in sounds as well. The band produces dark sounds over an experimental kind of rock where a lead instrument can wonder any way it wants to go. A distorted saxophone takes the lead and meanders over the chugging rhythm of 'Cryptonym', the opening song. Not that so much is happening, but certainly something slightly exciting. Nordmann has heard David Bowie's 'Black Star' album, but who can tell whether Bowie heard an earlier Nordmann album? This third album of Nordmann is supposed to be less rock and more electronic. I have to believe the band here. To my ears the rock element is still there and nothing reminds me of the likes of Weather Report, Billy Cobham or Alphonse Mouzon, acts a friend of mine kept exposing me to a long, long time ago. For that In Velvet is far too melodic.

Mammal Hands is even called an avant-garde jazz band in the bio. What I'm hearing is extremely melodic music, built around clear cut melodies. There's not much experimenting going on on Captured Spirits. The piano provides a motive that is played over and over, allowing the saxophone to meander in between the notes. Underneath there's a solid drum, providing the compositions a bottom end. The result is a melodic album that is nice to listen to every once in a while. I'm okay with this being called jazz but only of a very modern nature with enough melody and variation to be pleasant to my ears. The interaction between the two Smart brothers are worthwhile to follow. Even without the opportunity to sing along. The use of the tabla does give more variation to the album, becoming more experimental in sound as well.

No, this is not my every day cup of tea. Variation every once in a while does make the days go by in a swifter manner.

Wo.

You can listen and buy Mammal Hands here:

https://mammalhands.bandcamp.com/album/captured-spirits


You can order In Velvet here:

https://undayrecords.bigcartel.com/product/nordmann-in-velvet-limited-lp


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten