woensdag 9 september 2020

14 Singles, part 2

As we wrote yesterday, again we focus on a bunch of singles released recently. Here's the second instalment. Enjoy and don't forget to listen to our Spotify list, as there's a wide range in music again.

Boreas. The Oh Hellos
With the first single of its new album The Oh Hellos return to WoNoBlog. Boreas is a song that inclines towards classical folk. Maggie Heath sings the lead vocal in a high register, towards shrill, but commanding because of it. The small beginning is great contrast from what happens later on in the song. A whole choir sings with her. The amateurish sound (meant totally positive) of the choir singing reminds me of that beautiful song of St. Thomas called 'I'm Coming Home #2 of his 'I'm Coming Home' album (2001). A traditional instrument sets in in the second verse. Later the band flashes out completely. I do not hear a single hey ho or ho hey, but the folk of circa 2013 is back in this part of the song, that ends totally abruptly, as if The Oh Hellos could not come up with a better ending. That really is my only complaint where Boreas is concerned. The album with the same name is just around the corner on the day of writing.

Swiss Mountain Myth. The Asteroid No. 4
The Asteroid No. 4 featured in the single section before. The band returns with its latest single, Swiss Mountain Myth. We are in The Black Angels territory here, folks. Psychedelia, Mo Tucker style drumming, double tracked, trippy vocals, it all emulates Pink Floyd in 1967, except for the fact that I do not like that era Pink Floyd but do like Swiss Mountain Myth. This song has a melody, a vocal that I can sing along to and these long held synth notes and fuzzed guitars that lay over the firm foundation of bass and drums. All in need of a dose psychedelia can stop searching. This is it.

My Lambretta. Gallows Birds
There several ways to rock out. Gallows Birds, cool name, choses not to go all out in My Lambretta. The band allows for subtlety and room to breath in the song. By playing close and tight between drums, bass and guitar in the verses, allows to be more playful in the chorus, creating some great dynamics within the song. Over it all lays a fun vocal melody, the kind that does not need a lot of hearing before singing along to "she's my Lambretta". (What is a Lambretta? The internet tells me a scooter and moped brand.) Gallows Birds is a trio Travis Woods (guitars), Ritchie Holes (vocals) and Glenn Wellman (drums) and about to release an album in October called 'Quaranteenage Kicks'. I doubt whether the trio still qualifies as teenagers. Its music is fresh though and they do not for a second hide their influences, as you can find out in six weeks time.

Summer Of 99. ViVii
The new single of ViVii from Sweden is a point of rest and reflection in this singles post. Dreampop with an electronic edge is my first impression and I'm sticking by it after listening more. The beginning of the song is an acoustic guitar with faint percussion. The soft voice of Emil Jonsson leads the way, later to be replaced by his musical and life partner Caroline. Slowly but surely the song becomes broader. Electronic sounds are added, just like the percussion becoming more prominent. Towards the end the song surprises one more time. Thinking it is over, by way of a final oh,oh,oh sung by Caroline Jonsson, it returns for more than a minute. Dreamy, trippy and nice.

Rock N' Roll Manifesto 7" Series, Volume 1
The title suggest the beginning of a series and if so, count me in, please. The story starts with a gentleman called Greg Lonesome, who curates the series. He reached the 500th milestone mark of his radio show for Real Punk Radio with the name Rock N' Roll Manifesto. There you have the name of the series. The label is called Stamp Out Disco, a great name, although I'll confess to not objecting to hear a great disco track of old and having danced to it during night long parties.

A serious attempt is made though and the stamping is quite successful I can add. On this vinyl EP, 500 copies, three colours, there are four songs unique to this disc. Four bands four songs. Tiger Touch, 'Problems', Fret Rattles 'Thanks For Nothing', JJ & the Real Jerks, 'Split Decision' and Missile Studs 'Spazz Out'. As far as I know four totally obscure bands. Old? New? I haven't got a clue. What I do know is that I'm hearing four punkrock songs, for that is what they are, that are charged up and full of melody. There's so much energy in each of the songs. My favourite? I'm tending towards 'Split Decision'. A great singer this JJ, the sax solo is totally surprising, and a superb melody. This takes nothing away from the other three bands and songs. Mr. Lonesome has curated this single superbly as the four songs go together really well.

I got the news through Boston's Rum Bar Records, where else I might add. Please keep me posted for part 2, because this is sooo goood.

Longing For Nothingness. Susanna
This is the third single (my second after 'Burial') coming from Susanna's upcoming album 'Baudelaire & Piano'. And album she recorded in isolation with just her voice and her piano. The result is a totally bare album where there is no hiding behind anything. I can assure you that there is no need to hide at all. Susanna's clear voice leads the way and her piano accompanies her singing. Not a note extra is played. Longing For Nothingness's only embellishment is a modest flute. At one moment I have the impression that she is whistling and not playing a flute at all.

Both 'Burial' and the new single sound impressive. I still have to find out how this bare work of musical art works as a whole album. As individual songs I have no doubt at all. Both songs are extremely beautiful.

In Spite Of Ourselves. Geoff Palmer & Lucy Ellis
In Spite Of Ourselves is a nice country, pop, rock song. The kind of hybrid song that can only come out of the U.S., really. The kind of song that I start out thinking 'you've got to be kidding me'. The kind of song that I find myself a sucker for despite of my first inclination. Lucy Ellis' "oh oh" that starts the song is the right warning alright.

What sets the song apart for me in the first place, is the firm drumming kicking the song in the butt hard. Exactly what this genre needs to please my ears. The result is that the singing is firmer as well. Geoff Palmer sings a little softer it seems, Lucy Ellis is simply just charming. The duet works fully, totally. From there I'm noticing the details in the song, like the nice piano part going on just a little in the background. The bass runs happening here and there. "In spite of ourselves", Geoff Palmer ends the song. In spite of myself I find my heart embracing the song.

Wo.


Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten