vrijdag 4 september 2020

Halluzinationen. Sophie Hunger

Ever since I'm following the career of Sophie Hunger, either late 2012 or early 2013 and, of course I can add, through a post written by Erwin Zijleman, I am listening to an artist who reinvents herself by the album. For the first time I have the impression that she's looking back on what she has achieved so far and got inspired by her past which led to new songs.

Hence, I hear electronic songs that are the result of her move to Berlin and presented on her previous album 'Molecules'. The live show around 'Molecules' was, again, so impressive. There are also extreme singer-songwriter songs to be found on Hallunizationen that make me think of her albums from before my discovery.

The album opens with a song as ethereal as its title suggests, 'Liquid Air'. A song like a dream, fleeting, ungraspable, yet so extremely beautiful. With 'Liquid Air' Sophie Hunger adds another top song to her already top heavy set of top songs. The start does not give away what is to follow. A rhythm and an electric piano set the mood. Slowly but surely "more Sophie Hungers" sing together, while the song gets digitized more and more giving the whole a spooky atmosphere. 'Liquid Air' slowly but surely grows and grows without exploding in any kind. It is atmospheric in an extreme sense. Well built up and fleshed out. What a way to open an album!

'Finde Mich' continuous this mood, with a regular piano sound at the base of the song. Also the bass plays a prominent role, softy slapping away in the background. A moderate 'Moon Safari' bass sound. Again the song is seemingly relaxed, the mood gives away a tenseness just below the surface of the song. This tension makes the opening duo a great way to start.

The title song is a nervous electronic song closer to Sophie Hunger's previous album. Her typical voice hovers over the electronic sounds where a traditional organ weaves its notes into. The title is something plaguing the singer but totally unwelcome in the end. "Ich liebe euch, ich hasse euch", can a point of view be more contrasting? As confusing as hallucinations can make a person.

Listening closer to the album as a whole, I notice that Sophie Hunger is challenging me as a listener. She makes me work hard to keep paying attention to the details she has put into her new album. What I like about her music is all in there, but at times hidden behind what has her fancy now. The moment I recognise those details all incorporated into the song, it immediately falls into place. From that moment on I enjoy a song like 'Bad Medicine' double.

'Alpha Venom' is perhaps the most rocking song Sophie Hunger has released to date. It's like an ever continuing race. Running and running and running with no finish line to run towards. So yes, I feel somewhat haunted or chased. "I'm the one who makes the music". No, I haven't forgotten, Sophie. So in that way I am reminded of that great opening song of De Kift's latest album 'Hoogriet', 'Ik Ken'. Both songs drive the listener ever forward, relentless.

So it comes rather as a surprise to hear the next song, 'Rote Beeten Aus Arsen'. Just the piano and Sophie Hunger's voice. At the end it is as if she forgot the next phrase, starts again and decides to stop anyway. A strange experience. The song is nice though. Just as surprising is the poppy track 'Everything Is Good'. Just the way the song sounds. The line "I'm lucky I don't have to be with you", does not suggest that all is right, but o.k.

There are a few more songs on the album, but you've got the gist of it. With Halluzinationen Sophie Hunger has added another fine album to her oeuvre. There's so much musical richness on the album that it will take many listening sessions after these first sessions to discover them all. As soon as the album is released, it will enter my home to start enjoying these new sessions. Sophie Hunger remains one of my favourite singers that I've discovered in the 10s. With ease I might add.

Wo.

P.S. (1-10-2020). Now that I have the cd and listened to it multiple times, there's one comment I have to add. In several of the songs Sophie Hunger has managed to recreate her live sound on record. The enormous spacious and clarity I always notice when at one of her shows can be found on this record. This impresses me as much at home as it does in a venue.


Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten