maandag 8 oktober 2018

Muunduja. Maarja Nuut & Ruum

There are out of the comfortzone records and out of the comfort zone records. The kind that come by in Kairos, the radio programme my WoNo colleague, .No compiles for his monthly stint on Concertzender. Muunduja certainly is a record that could find a place there. But, beware, I can never be certain. Either the voice of the recording quality could be at miss. We approach music from very different angles, but with the same end result: a deep love for the music we truly appreciate.

Over the past weeks I have listened several times to Muunduja ('Shifter'). The album grew on me with each session. Don't ask me to explain why, as this is not the kind of music I usually listen to. Experimental, searching for ways into fairly basic compositions that turn it upside down, completely, to find sounds and twist 99.9% of musicians would never find. The result is some fine soundscapes over no more than four or five notes repeated endlessly.

The basis of this album is a violin. This instrument provides the basic notes that start each exploration. So in a way the least interesting instrument on Muunduja. It is all else that does the exploring part. In such it is a part analogue and part digital.

Maarja Nuut & Ruum is a duo from Talinn in Estonia, that pretty, medieval town on the Finnish Gulf. It may be that I read this, but somehow I am also reminded of Arvo Pärt, who comes by regularly in Kairos. Usually with choir music. Yet the repetitions in both artists' music sound familiar to me, where the sort of music could not be further apart. Nothing divine here on Muunduja. And yet, the music has something to do with the spiritual. It exhumes rest and a tranquil state of mind. The music faces the listener directly and not to primarily entertain. It is aimed at a lot more, as this music is in a way confrontational. It has a direct impact on other brain parts than the inner ear.

Another reference is Sophie Hunger in the way of singing of Maarja Nuut. Both have this way of creating a unique atmosphere through the interaction between their voices and the music.

I can not tell you a lot more, except that this, experimental, music grips me. It takes me out of my musical comfort zone and brings, no accompanies me to a different but extremely pleasant state of mind. So, please go out and listen to Muunduja. If you do, feel free to share your experience below in the comment section. I am truly interested.

Wo.

You can listen to or buy Muunduja here:

https://maarjanuut.bandcamp.com/album/muunduja


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten