Wednesday, 23 September 2026

Alas! The Bomb Voyage ... Mad Tab

Mad Tab is a punk - ska band from Huntingdon Beach, California and the band has exactly these two faces. On the one hand relentless punk music and on the other the ska rhythms from Jamaica, perhaps by way of the U.K. circa 1979.

It is quite a stretch to follow the band's punk side. The album link I received presents the songs in alphabetical order and punk is what the wind blows. At the time of writing, I can't find the album's formal 17 song track list.

Not so long ago, I wrote, in single's review of another punk band, that I did not know if I was able to stomach a whole album by that band. I was getting to that point with Alas! The Bomb Voyage ..., when the mood changed and the first ska track came in.

My track selection starts with 'All Live'. My attention goes out mostly to the drummer. Google's AI tells me his name is Rob Wheeler, the bio coming with the album doesn't mention the name, so I don't know for certain. Fact is, that the dry sound is so tight, so extremely intense that it just leaves me in awe. How can anyone play this fast and so dominant and still be on the beat the whole time and have time for accents? The rest of the band follows the rhythm of course and seems more like a machine than a band.

At the same time there are interesting vocal melodies over the onslaught of music (in the most positive sense of the word). Surprising addition is the keyboard / synth that comes with and sounds through the music, which is pretty unusual for a punk band. According to Google it consists of, beside Wheeler of course of Graham “Gram Tab” Kirlin on guitar, Dave" Dave Tab" Malyjurek  on keyboards, analogue synth and Scott Beattie on bass. All four alternate on vocals, the differences can be heard quite clearly. In that the band reminds me most of Rancid and System of a Down. Production was in the hands of former Fishbone bassist Norwood Fisher.

By the time we've reached the letter G in my order, 'Gone' is still up tempo and punk and then the change sets in 'Good Boi' has a ska rhythm and would have fallen in nicely with a band like The Specials. Jumpy uptempo and very danceable. Both two tones and nutty boys would have enjoyed themselves with the track and the same goes for 'Loose Teeth'. By that time I have gotten into the pace of Alas! The Bomb Voyage ... Is it an album that I can play a lot at home? No, there would be too many objections. Is it an album that I can play when on my own? Hell, yes!

Wout de Natris - van der Borght

No comments:

Post a Comment