zaterdag 17 april 2021

Course In Fable. Ryley Walker

What if Nick Drake was to make an album today? What would it sound like? He would have been in his early mid 70s and have evolved for decades. It may well have been that from lockdown he would have made an album sounding like Course In Fable, with a surprise song going back to his old self from circa 1970, now that he was in lockdown on his own.

I think I remember one album by Ryley Walker from several years back and in my faint memory it was a traditional singer-songwriter kind of album, perhaps 'Primrose Green'. The only review on the blog is on an another album and by Erwin Zijleman. Memories are quaint qualifiers as I know having been confronted with some over the years. What I certainly do not remember is a Nick Drake like album. So I was truly surprised by what the album presented me with.

The way Course In Fable sounds is modern. The technique of 2021 has nothing to do with 1969. The music is richer and much wider in sound, arguably even better played as many musicians nowadays are well trained. Being able to self record there's no limit on studio hours and recording instruments as well. Not that on Course In Fable whole orchestra's and horn sections play. Far from it. The music is fairly down to earth, but so spaciously mixed. The impression the music makes is of a room filled with instruments.

Promo photo
The music borders on jazz. If it isn't jazz. Where's the distinction mark? Take 'A Lenticular Slap'. When you listen to what is going on in this song. Especially before its total mood change into a more pop-rock-jazz direction making me think of Van Morrison. Before that it is of a kind of music I'm not too familiar with, but totally Nick Drake alright. It's in the mood, in the chords, in the accents. The difference is that it is all so much less self-conscious. Ryley Walker doesn't hesitate to present his music, nor his voice. If he's unsure, he's one of the best actors in the world. The presentation is totally self-assured.

More happens than a rehash of 'Bryter Layter' of 'Five Leaves Left'. 'Axis Bent' is close to a rock song with some strange time signatures in the drumming while the band plays on. 'Clad With Bunk' is one. 'Pond Scum Ocean' is a clear sounding but despite that a sort of psychedelic outing. It is the final song, that really put me on Nick Drake's scent. 'Shiva Dust Pan' is the best Nick Drake song released since 1974, thanks to Ryley Walker.

Looking up Ryley Walker on Wikipedia I notice that he has a prolific output in the less than eight years he is releasing records, including two with a jazz drummer. It attests to the inquisitive musical mind of an artist who likes to expand his musical horizons. I can't place Course Of Fable Walker's bigger picture, having only heard one album, that I did not review. On that faint memory I am surprised by what I'm hearing. Over fifty years of musical history is worked into seven songs that have a jazzy undertone that is mixed with U.K. folk, a rocking lead guitar and a little pop as well. The mix is quite intriguing I have to admit. I was very surprised by an album that I had almost kept on that huge pile. Thank you, my iPod.

Wout de Natris

You can listen to and order Course In Fable here:

https://ryleywalker.bandcamp.com/album/course-in-fable


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten