vrijdag 23 april 2021

The War On Peace Of Mind. Dianne Swann

New Zealand is a country that was in the news over the past years because of an earthquake in Christchurch, the mass shooting in the same city, it's prime minster going on maternity leave and the extremely positive handling of the Covid pandemic. For anything basically except the incredibly talented musicians recording and releasing albums there. Today I was introduced to Dianne Swann via that newsletter of newsletters sent to me by Flying Nun Records. I started this introduction on the same day, after a few listening sessions on Spotify.

Late last year I discovered Reb Fountain. Her eponymous album really made an impression on me and still comes by regularly. Let Reb Fountain make a very positive appraisal of The War On Peace Of Mind and my attention is caught for certain. I can only write that I'm in total agreement. Dianne Swann's album is of the sort that is immediately interesting.

Where does this start? With the folky undertones of opening song 'These Are The Days'. Hidden somewhere is a folk heart. Added to that is a tougher sort of Americana in the twangy guitar notes. The rhythm section is not afraid to play tough giving the impression to be able to rock as well. Over this all is the voice of Dianne Swann, I don't think I have to say more there. I'm smitten, that suffices.

To me Dianne Swann is a new name. For New Zealanders she is around for much longer as part of the Auckland duo The Bads. My advantage is that I do not have to compare this album to anything else. It is all new and fresh. Of course in general there's a host of singers and albums that came before. It's here that I'm so impressed. Of course I'm hearing influences of things that came before. Fact is that The War On Peace Of Mind does really well in that department. It all has to do with that mix I already mentioned. Somehow that mix is perfectly tuned for my ears.

I'll be the first to agree that nothing spectacular happens on this album. No great, epic solo's, no flashy arrangements to be found. The quality is all in the songs themselves, in the melody, arrangement and singing. Every single song on the album grabs me, with tremendous ease.

The mix of songs on the album is quite good as well. A little more pop, a little more folksy and a rocker to end the album. In most songs it is a subtle difference, until that final one. By far the loudest of the bunch 'Rare Good Feeling' is. The counterpoint to a relaxed album of high quality.

In one week two fantastic new albums from New Zealand come by on this blog. There are weeks that far larger countries do not manage this number. New Zealand has a very special music scene. It must be that special element in the water.

Wout de Natris

You can listen to and order The War On Peace Of Mind here:

https://dianneswann.bandcamp.com/album/the-war-on-peace-of-mind


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten