dinsdag 20 april 2021

Fyra. Suffocate For Fuck Sake

Last week I was reviewing 'Kingdom Of Oblivion', Motorpsycho's new album. When I was finished writing I put on another album to test what I should still review for the upcoming week. While editing the Motorpsycho text, I sort of forgot I had put on a new album. In the background I heard Scandinavian mumbling and long drawn out instrumental music. Subconsciously I was still listening to Motorpsycho. Up to the moment the singer started to roar, I can't call it singing, sorry.

Something happened in my brain at that moment. The music was fantastic, I thought, while I was totally abhorred by the senseless screaming. Why does someone want to share his deepest feelings, as I suppose that when communicating like this must be, like this? They must be extremely deep, sad, horrid and heartfelt? And I can't relate to them this way in any way. That was my thought, instantly.

I can't help thinking the following. When I was a very young child and once or twice as an adolescent, I remember getting into a tantrum it was impossible to get out of. Crying so hard and long that suffocation was closer than relief. This is what I'm reminded of listening to the singing/screaming, a memory I can do without. There are far better ways to deal with deep frustration and anger.

Promo photo
This band is closing in on being two decades in music, so it's not youthful frustration I'm hearing on Fyra. A deep anger and despair certainly is vented, but effectively? It may have a function but as far as I'm concerned, it mostly just drives me away.

The music at times is fantastic. Layered, doomed, dark, spacey, impressive. Tuning in on the album, it caught me within seconds. While turning me off within seconds as well. All in all Fyra is an 80 minute plus long album, with spoken words, in Swedish, lifted from programmes or podcasts. The Swedish band simply amazes, but can I listen to it for long? Due to the singing that answer is no for now. I've amazed myself before but this screamo thing seems to be a terribly bit much.

Music is strange sometimes, just like life itself. In a way I'm so impressed by Fyra that I wanted to write about it anyway. But man, what a horrendous way of singing. My vocal chords are bleeding by proxy and so are my eardrums.

Wout de Natris

You can listen to and buy Fyra here:

https://suffocateforfucksake.bandcamp.com/album/fyra


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten