vrijdag 16 april 2021

Kingdom Of Oblivion. Motorpsycho

The trilogy of three albums of great, colourful album art artistry is done. To underscore that the cover to Kingdom Of Oblivion is not so much less artful, it is enormously more simple and less colourful. Art it is, that remains the same. Musically Motorpsycho stays fairly close to home. Fans of the band's music will be totally satisfied and can buy the album with plugged up ears.

There's one snag in reviewing new Motorpsycho albums. So much happens on them that it is impossible to truly form an impression after just a few listening sessions. A first impression is formed, the deeper relationship is something that happens over time, weeks, months and years. The long compositions have many nuances and layers that do not necessarily unfold themselves at the start. Something sounding familiar at first contains a new sound or even a new approach within a "normal" Motorpsycho environment.

On the last number of records whole walls of sound are erected. Somewhere in there the essence of the song lurks to be discovered at leisure. Sometimes to be discovered immediately, sometimes after many sessions by cutting a record up. Overload of musical information is a risk with an 80 minute or plus record and as overwhelming as a Motorpsycho record can be.

So on my first take I'm not afraid to share with you that Kingdom Of Oblivion is another great Motorpsycho record. The monumental opening. 'The Waning part 1&2', sets the pace and atmosphere. The bands plays in large, rough strokes, as if Karel Appel saying "I do not paint, I hit". Pushed on relentlessly by power drummer extraordinaire Tomas Järmyr, the two veteran members on the snare instruments can not hold back for one second. In that wall of sound so much is happening that just reviewing this song could take up much more time than I could ever allocate to the whole album. And should you be wondering how hard the band rocks, just listen to that groove on 'The United Debased'. The album takes a giant step back in and after 'The Watcher' and allows all involved, including you and me, to catch our breath, because what a ride that rocker is..

Promo photo Motor Magritte
Just like I was from 'The Tower' onwards, before that album from 2017 I had lost sight of the band for circa seven years, I am totally impressed by the band. Like I was at that great show in Victorie in Alkmaar in 2018. The band really wrings everything out of itself and the ideas the members come up with. No road remains unexplored, leading to monumental songs and to West Coast jazzy pop songs like 'Lady May 1'. Motorpsycho never is just the classic prog rock band. The bass playing of Bent Saether on this song very much reminds me of the jazzy outings Jefferson Airplane's Jack Cassidy played on 'After Bathing At Baxter's' more trippy, hippy songs. A song like this gives Kingdom Of Oblivion and other Motorpsycho albums, the air the listener needs to recover, while enjoying the song at the same time.

I can't help feeling, and if this is the case I apologise just a little here, in essence I'm writing the same review when reviewing a new Motorpsycho album. The reason is as I explained in the above. I am in awe, once again, but also overwhelmed by the giant amount of musical information hurled at me. One thing is for certain, I will be buying the album soon, as it will be another great addition to my slowly growing Motorpsycho collection and my faster growing collection overall. Kingdom Of Oblivion is as impressive as it is inspired.

Wout de Natris

You can order Kingdom Of Oblivion here:

https://www.stickman-records.com/shop/motorpsycho-kingdom-of-oblivion/


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten