dinsdag 1 december 2020

Reb Fountain. Reb Fountain

It takes a few seconds before 'Reb Fountain' takes off. As if singer Reb Fountain is reluctant to release the album, to even let us hear the first, relevant notes. When it finally goes, it goes alright. 'Hawks & Doves' is a soft folk song, setting the tone of the album. A softly plucked acoustic guitar and a few bass notes is all the song needs. Reb Fountain's voice does the rest. Self-assured, brittle yet forceful. "I am alive", is the message shared by the New Zealand singer.

Reb Fountain came into my life when her label Flying Nun Records announced a 7" single recently. (I missed the whole album last spring somehow, but then it's impossible to keep up with everything.) It took only one listen before I looked up whether there was an album. It was only a few songs later, including 'Hawks & Doves', when I ordered the album. 'Reb Fountain' is one of those album that make an immediate impression. How good it really becomes is determined by growth after the first listening sessions. I am at the point that I started writing and singing all praises to the album. After this time will tell.

After the single, 'Don't You Know Who I Am', this is the true introduction of the New Zealand singer-songwriter on this blog. She was born in San Francisco, raised in Lyttleton near Christchurch and now lives in Auckland. After her 2017 EP Hopeful & Hopeless, she recorded and toured with Neil Finn and Finn Andrews, who sings a duet on 'Reb Fountain, 'When God's Lie'. The album was recorded in Neil Finn's studio.

Musically 'Reb Fountain' is one of those albums that do not need a lot to make a strong impression. A handclap at a spot in the bar that makes me think 'what is happening here'? A slow played electric guitar with some reverb on it, creates the laziest riff imaginable. A few piano notes. Somehow it's enough. The songs do not need more with this singer in front of them. She makes every single song shine with her voice and intonation. All around her only underscores what is already overly obvious. Reb Fountain touches on brilliance.

In 'Samson' the impression is given that a modern R&B singer is at work on the most unlikeliest song for this kind of artist ever. As with a few other songs on 'Reb Fountain' Lana del Rey comes to mind, because of the style of singing. No matter how much I like at least half of Ms. Del Rey's output, she's not allowed to carry the slips of Reb Fountain's dress. When she starts singing, there's hardly a need for anything else. Her voice and diction are a tower of strength all by itself. Without having to overdo anything, just sing. When I hear 'When God's Lie', I can't but think that this would have been Reb Fountain's duet with Lou Reed, had he still been alive. Somehow the whole song spells Lou Reed, despite the totally laidback atmosphere. Single 'Don't You Know Who I Am' on the album is just as strong as the single experience. Yes, I do, I can answer truthfully now: A fantastic singer from New Zealand with a fantastic album under her belt.

Last year I bought Aldous Harding's last album, another great feat from the two island country down under. With Reb Fountain another New Zealand singer is added to my list of artists to follow more closely. I read on her website that she won a prize for best country song with a song from her first album. Where that country music went to, I don't know. There's hardly a trace of it to be found on this album. I'm happy with how things stand. 'Reb Fountain' is nothing else but a revelation.

Wo.

You can listen to and order 'Reb Fountain' here:

https://rebfountain.bandcamp.com/album/reb-fountain


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten