vrijdag 10 maart 2023

Dirt Road To Heaven. Robin Lane

An album being re-released within circa six months, is quite fast. It has a simple reason. Well, two actually. Red on Red Records' label manager took a shining to the whole album and not just to the stand alone single. Ergo, Dirt Road To Heaven has got a re-release with the single added to underscore the point.

The same sort of happened to me. I may have listened to the album at the time of release, although I admit that I receive far more albums than I can ever keep up with. Because of Justine's email I did take a listen and see, Dirt Road To Heaven has made it the second time around here as well.

Singing with a gravelly voice, Robin Lane opens the album with the title track. Although the song is not as personal as my introduction to Lucinda Williams with the opening track of 'Car Wheels On A Gravel Road', 'Dirt Road To Heaven' has the same effect on me. Country with a dark twist that gets to me. The song has an intensity that makes it compelling to listen to. Hard to get away from.

Moving into the album Lane explores different genres. The second song, 'Woman Like That', takes a turn towards Appalachian folk with a hint of Britsh folk from the circa 1970. The banjo gives the song an authenticity but it is Robin Lane that gives the song a toughness that is unimaginable in British folk of old. The dreamy stuff is missing here. 'Woman Like That' is the real thing. And yet, you will find the two genres get a blend that works really well. The theme is quite extraordinary as well. It shows Lane is not afraid to sing about a not exactly every day kind of love song. As when all is said and done, that is what it is.

What I like about this album, is that it touches on many familiar sounds from over the past 60 years. There's no denying there. What Robin Lane and her fellow musicians do, is take these inspirations and make them work in their favour. A little twist in a song that bring The Byrds to mind or a sound that brings on other fond memories.

Promo photo: Harry McCoy
Lyrically it happens as well. She ends the song Hard Life with 'cause I've got you, babe, for example. Approaching the theme from a totally different angle as Sonny & Cher who were romantically looking ahead. This is, once again, the real thing after being years together in dire circumstances, but it's alright because they have got each other and can depend on each other. These are all songs by a woman who has lived and learned.

With every song Robin Lane convinces. By taking a different approach, adding another instrument changing the sound of the album a little bit once again. Okay, some songs are too country for me, but I can hear what she does and has the ability and musicality to bring it across in a convincing way. I do not switch the song off, and that sort of tells all.

And that single? I missed that one as well. Deciding on getting a single into my weekly overviews is usually a matter of seconds. When my mood isn't right for a certain style of music, there's no second chances at that point in time. Listening now, I totally concur with Justine. This is a beautiful song that deserves the extra attention. Made for Robin Lane's voice. 'All I Ever Need' is the kind of country song that brings out the longing in a forceful way underscored by a wailing slide guitar that is howling with the wolves in the forest.

Thank you, Justine, for putting Dirt Road To Heaven again under my attention and everyone else's.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order Dirt Road To Heaven here:

https://redonredrobinlane.bandcamp.com/track/dirt-road-to-heaven

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten