zaterdag 24 juni 2023

In Times New Roman. Queens of the Stone Age

It's been six years since Queens of the Stone Age released a new record. In a way longer for me, as I had not bothered to check out the two previous records really. I had lost interest. Curiosity can be stimulated, as the enthusiastic reviews of In New Times Roman did. Yes, I wanted to know if they were correct.

True fans will not have been disappointed. QOTSA does what it is good at best, that is rock. Ask me, not a true fan, and I would tell you that most songs are very direct and focused. Most songs on the album are tighter and intense. And, yes, good. In Times New Roman certainly deserves that description as well.

There's nothing new under the sun, at first glance/listen. Neither at second. It all sounds familiar as QOTSA. Only when I started to get myself acquainted truly with In Times New Roman, nice title of course, when listening harder, it became clear to me that in its own way QOTSA is rocking harder, while appearing to rock less. A lot of the superfluous overdubbed guitars and sounds were left on the studio floor, resulting in that tight sound.

Life was in turmoil for Josh Homme in the past years, distracting him from his line of work: writing, recording en playing songs. It deprived the world most likely of an album. Arguably it led to the world receiving this one. The fans may be the ones who win out. I do not wish anyone to go through hardships, although at some part they are part of nearly everyone's lives, for artists it seems like oxygen. Almost no interview with young artists go by, without having to read about the emotional deprivations and other hardships. That aside, although I start to become less interested to read about new albums because of it, whatever the reason, in the case of Josh Homme it led to a very coherent album. Including the best chorus he has ever written, in my humble opinion: 'Emotion Sickness'. I have written about the song in the singles section recently. Hearing it on the album, it stands out once again. What a great song. It has just this little more melody than all the great songs of the band of the past.

What I also like and is worth mentioning, are the little experiments here and there. In times old 60s there's even a Beatlesque influence to be heard And, just listen how Josh Homme influenced Alex Turner with his style of singing. A direct link to the biggest band of the past and the best of this century so far.

It has been a long time since I last bought a QOTSA album. It may well be that this spell is over. In Times New Roman is worth while to have. The best conclusion for this post possible, not?

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and buy In Times New Roman here:

https://qotsa.bandcamp.com/album/in-times-new-roman

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten