woensdag 6 juli 2022

Three albums, 06-07-2022

Here are some records that might have gotten away if I had not compiled them here. Some weird stuff among it. Mind, Magella's album is not out until 15 July.

Magella. Quiet Confusion

QOTSA, that is the easy way out, listening to Quiet Confusion's new album. The Italian trio certainly knows where Abraham found his mustard where stoner rock is concerned. So, expect a powerful album filled with a combination of rock, melody, stone solid riffs and great solos. Quiet Confusion does not make a song more difficult than strictly necessary, heightening the listening experience considerably.

Quiet Confusion started out in Verona, Italy, in 2009 and releases records since 2010. In the past decade the original band members left one after the other, leaving only guitarist and singer Antonio Cortina as original member. Together with bass player Roberto Panarotto and drummer Giovanni Franceschini Cortina sets out for a new era with the band, with the album Magella. The music is diverse, and ranges in intensity as well as in pop sensitivity. With the addition of a little psychedelia, some bluesrock and some desert rock into the different songs, the album is enriched because of the different points of musical view the band presents to its listeners. Magella is, within the confines of stoner rock, an album full of surprises.

Zwei. Flying Moon in Space

There are eclectic albums and there's Zwei, Flying Moon in Space's second album. The Leipzig, Germany based band, truly plays with all kinds of musical and music induced emotions. Zwei is all over the place and I have the hardest of times following the band at times. I can say many things of albums but seldom that an album brings me from heaven to hell and back a few times, all within the space of eight songs. The opening track is fantastic with a mix of punk singing, that female shouting kind of singing, with a kind of twisted dance rhythm that has a Teutonic feel to it. At the same time 'Traum Für Alle is super tight and messy. This style returns on Zwei, like in 'The Day The Sun Was Made', but Flying Moon in Space has no issue with going into other directions, including psychedelic, electronic dance tracks and some Kraftwerk hidden underneath the electronic beats. An imaginary stroboscope makes me close my eyes. Although the sound of 'Optimist' is hidden inside 'Traum Für Alle', the change is totally unexpected and even a little strange. The singing, brings the former song back a little, but does not save it. When all is said and done Zwei is more an, experimental, granted, dance album than a punkrock one. Having listened to the album several times now I am more confused than convinced, but have listened repeatedly. Unfortunately I still do not know what that tells me.

My Other People. TV Priest

Oh, irony. There's a review I wrote a few weeks ago and then found out the album was postponed into August. There's something on TV Priest in the review, no, I will not change it. And then I received the physical version of My Other People in my mailbox. Being the nice person I am, I give everything a chance and to my surprise got in the rhythm of the album. This was far from bad, far from irritating and even the singer started to go down real well. Does it matter so much to listen to a real album over the stereo? Apparently the answer is yes. TV Priest is an exciting band. The song are nearly all highly energetic affairs, where the band truly gives it its whole. With lead guitars like a chainsaw, a rhythm section like a chugging, extremely long freight train scaling the Rockies. Things are happening on this album. What I can't get my head around is, where did the all of a sudden change of appreciation come from? Fact is My Other People has not left my cd player often for over a week. This alternative rock band from the UK has it sort of all.

Wout de Natris

 

You can order and listen to the albums here:

https://godownrecords.bandcamp.com/

https://fuzzclub.bandcamp.com/album/zwei

https://tvpriest.bandcamp.com/album/my-other-people

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten