vrijdag 25 februari 2022

I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me. King Hannah

Long ago Shocking Blue had a hit single called 'Hello Darkness'. If a song title was ever the right connotation to the music I'm listening to right now, it's 'Hello Darkness'. On it's new album King Hannah explores the dark crevasses of the duo's darkest moods, anxieties and fears. Howling with the wolves in the forest at full moon. Can music be dangerous? Not as such, too loud playing as a danger to the ears besides, but when someone already in a dark mood listens to I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me, things may get dangerous at the individual level. Tipper Gore may have to start advocating for another kind of sticker on records!

King Hannah debuted on these pages with the single 'Star Trooper' and, belatedly, the debut EP 'Tell Me Your Mind And I'll Tell You Mine' in 2021. Because of these introductions, the new, first full-length album was not in fear of falling of the proverbial shelve of new releases, this time around. I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me delivers. That is the short and simple conclusion after listening to the record for the first time and every time after it.

King Hannah is Hannah Merrick and Craig Whittle from Liverpool in the U.K. They have been making music together since the 2010s and with I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me deliver their first album. The music, as said, is dark but not without familiar elements. Deep down this is The Velvet Underground for 2022. The one of Lou Reed and Doug Yule and the few Nico led songs, not John Cale's, as the madness is missing. King Hannah has its music tightly under control, like on 'The Velvet Underground'. Deep down I am listening to pop ballads, totally dusted over as it were. Just like I can imagine Adele singing 'The Moods That I Get In' and how it would sound in her case. It only goes to show the effect King Hannah's music has on my brain.

Play this album load enough or on your head set and the music encapsulates you totally. Hannah Merrick's voice is as close by as she will ever be for most listeners. The way her singing is recorded is just right and mixed right in front of the music as if floating on it. It attracts all attention to it. Not that the music is not important, far from. Just listen to the opening song, 'A Well-Made Woman'. The drums play an important part in the first half of the song. Later stacks of guitar(part)s are layered on top of one another but what will remain with you is that voice. Drained of emotions perhaps but not of pride. "I'm a well-made woman", "I am a brave woman" she sings and not leaving any room for another conclusion, listening to her. She knows she is. No doubt about it.

As points of reference. Where the singing is concerned, I would definitely point to Reb Fountain. Hannah Merrick has that same touch in her singing. Musically the two singers are further apart. Austrian duo Cari Cari is worth mentioning. Both have this touch of mystery in their music. Then there is this darkness. A lot happened between 1967 and 2022 but it all starts with The Velvet Underground here. Especially when Craig Whittle takes the lead vocals in 'Ants Crawling On An Apple Stork'. I have never been into Low but I would guess King Hannah has listened to the band.

I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me is a perfect mix of a lot of previous artist, while being itself entirely. This album has a fantastic vibe, at least for me. The darkness attracts in a positive way. I'm sucked into this musical world that is just great to wonder around in. Mystery, seduction, dreams, spooky are just four words of many that spring to mind. It's all there and so much more. It makes I'm Not Sorry, I Was Just Being Me a great album, very much worthwhile to spend, intimate, time with.

Wout de Natris


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten