zaterdag 26 februari 2022

Gary Brooker (1945 - 2022)

Gary Brooker is the singer and, initially, the only composer of one of the most impressive classic pop singles ever. 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' as a single reached the first spot of the Veronica Top 40 twice, in 1967 and in 1972 when re-released as maxi single. When all is said and done, I know exactly four songs by Procol Harum. The four true hits the band scored in this country. 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale', 'Homburg', 'A Salty Dog' and 'Conquistador'. These singles must have a b-side but I have no recollection of them.

What makes that I love to hear these songs every once in a while, but never decided to try one of the band's albums? The thought never even crossed my mind until this week. Not of getting an album nor the thought itself. To be honest, I have no idea. Somehow I had no need to explore any further. None of my (past) friends had and as far as I know have an album by the band. Probably for two reasons. The first that by the second half of the 70s the band was as uncool as could be and it did not exist anymore.

I have one Gary Brooker solo album though, with the single 'Fear Of Flying' on it. A song I liked and still do when it comes around. I never made it through the album though. Perhaps another indication for the lack of motivation to explore backwards.

Coming back to Brooker's greatest musical achievement, 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale'. It is based on Bach's 'Air', a hit for the Dutch truly classic rock band Ekseption in 1969. Brooker was playing the composition, lost his way and came up with the melody for Procol Harum's best-known song. The lyrics by Keith Reid are modern poetry full of imagery but incomprehensible to non-poetically sensitive persons like myself. Brooker sings them with tremendous force and conviction. This is truly one half of the attraction. Brooker was around 22 when he recorded the song but also sounds a bit like an older man with an already somewhat worn-out voice.

The melody is beautiful and attracts immediately. The vocal melody and the way the band plays with the basic notes in search of harmonies. It is here that organist Matthew Fisher decades later received a co-writing credit. He played the core melody of the song. Apparently he only later in life understood how songwriting works and thought he deserved his cut. After a court case he got his rights to be mentioned on the label; and most likely millions in his bank account. Where does one start to measure this monetarily?

Thanks to Wikipedia a fun fact. 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' was the first debut single to reach the first spot of the Veronica Top 40 and remained the only debut single to do so until downloads and streams started being counted as well. It also was the first song to reach the number one spot twice.

'A Whiter Shade Of Pale''s popularity got a boost last year because of a very sad reason. It was the favourite song of journalist Peter R. de Vries, who was assassinated last year. As a tribute the public was asked to vote for it in the Top 2000. For years the song was very slowly descending in that chart of most popular songs ever, but still solidly in the top 175. It made it to number 3 in 2021, it's highest position ever. The number 10 position in the first list of 1999 was upped considerably.

With 'Homburg' Procol Harum repeated a first spot on the charts. The only band with its first two singles consecutively as number 1? 'Homburg' has exactly the same quality as its predecessor. The song is just as intriguing and multi-levelled.

For me 'A Salty Dog' was the first single I remember as being a hit. I did not understand the song one bit, to be honest. This was far too difficult music for a young brain. What I did notice were all the sounds in there and the suspense. This was not a pop tune, I all got that though. It's not a song that comes by regularly anymore. So what do I think of it in 2022? Perhaps it's time to find out, including the band's first albums. In the meantime I have to correct myself. I have the live album with 'Conquistador' on it on cd. Most likely I listened to it exactly once.

Procol Harum is an anonymous band. I could not tell you what band members look like. Perhaps because it was always about the music and not an image. Those few singles I know are impressive and extremely special. Gary Brooker left behind a legacy that will outlast him for a long time. With thanks to a man who's outlived his music for a few centuries already: Johann Sebastian Bach.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten