donderdag 3 juni 2021

Cavalcade. Black Midi

Can I make head or tails of Cavalcade? I have to admit having a hard time. Something has changed though in a couple of years. I couldn't make head or tails of debut album 'Schlagenheim' as well. That is where it stopped between Black Midi and me. After a few minutes into 'Schlagenheim' I had had enough. Not so with Cavalcade. The music I heard in opening song 'John L.' resonated well. A King Crimson album with Adrian Belew on guitar, earlier work of De Kift, and more were pulled out of the little grey cells in my head containing the information. Above all the weirder stuff of Frank Zappa. It all isn't my favourite work of either act I mention. Intrigued I am by the weird noise, rhythms, and hints of a melody though.

The Zappa reference comes back even stronger when 'Marlene Dittrich', who in 2021 remembers her at all?, where a singer tries to sing in a style that so clearly is not his. A song pretending to be normal in an abnormal environment, that's the best description I'd say. And getting away with it.

Cavalcade is the kind of album that contains so much information that it's impossible to digest even after a few listening sessions. To get down to the essence, if there at all, will take many, many sessions. I'll admit to not being sure to want to invest, as I may never discover that essence. What triggers my interest is all the weirdness. Is there more to the songs than just that. Another band I'm reminded of is Sunderland duo Field Music, but Field Music is able to weave The Beatles so obviously into its stranger rhythms. Black Midi is far more radical. Having read the above, it may come as a surprise how danceable, parts of 'Chondromalaicia Patela' are.

What totally baffles me, is how can Black Midi ever be a trio? A guitarist, a bassist and a drummer, is officially it. On stage it's impossible to reproduce what is happening on Cavalcade. The technical proficiency of the three members, Geordie Greep, Cameron Picton and Morgan Simpson, is extremely good but simply not enough. Original member Matt Kwasniewsky - Kelvin, also guitar, stepped aside (temporarily?) to take care of himself first. On record the trio is assisted by several other musicians to create the, at times, huge sounds.

What surprises me is that Cavalcade holds songs that are totally toned down. In 'Diamond Stuff' for example Black Midi stripped away nearly everything that makes a rock band. Slowly but surely there's a build up later on in the song, leading to ...? I let you find that out for yourself. Just as easily I could write that at times it's like two different songs are played at the same time. The final song as such does not come as a surprise any more, but strange it remains the mix of songs on Cavalcade.

I haven't a true clue how Cavalcade and I are going to adjust to each other nor where this will lead me musically. Fact is, that I am totally intrigued by the experimental music that brings together decades of experimental, and eccentricity in, music and perhaps as an afterthought some elements of "normal" music as well.

Wout de Natris

You can listen to and order Cavalcade here:

https://bmblackmidi.bandcamp.com/


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten