Friday, 25 September 2026

De Staat. De Staat

I'll own up before I start reviewing. I thought to have heard enough of De Staat. The three coloured mini albums did not get to me and the first songs released of 'De Staat' made me think "been there, done that". I decided to give the album a chance anyway, and then things changed. 'De Staat' is a totally different beast, but starting off as something very familiar sounding.

Well, okay, a drumming intro is different. From there sounds come in, including an emergency signal like droning sound. Torre Florim is his strict, military sergeant sounding self in the repeated lyrics. The sound are swirling synth drones. This isn't a song, it's pure effect. And yet, somehow it all does add up into a frightening version of a song. Electronic hell. I can imagine this being played in a torture cell for hours and hours and hours on end at tremendous levels. And yet, it is an impressive album opener.

'The Fire' comes up next. Again rhythm with loads of electronics but a vocal melody that can be reproduced by fans easily. A song like De Staat is famous for for well over a decade now. The synths are recorded at such a level that the sound seems to fall apart in the process. Again, a child's verse comes by, like 'Old MacDonald's Farm' a long time ago. 'Row, Row Your Boat' this time. It made me wonder when and where I learned these songs. Did my Australian mother sing them to us when small? I also vaguely remember a booklet, from high school? I really don't know.

To think that De Staat was a solo project of Torre Florim in 2009 and after the release of 'Wait For Evolution' needed a band and that in 2026 that band is still together. That is rather remarkable. That band now plays some of the deepest tracks it ever recorded and is experimenting with other forms of music as well. And that is where 'De Staat' gets more interesting.

I've seen the band live several times and seeing Torre Florim live things can become so intense that it is hard to see the line between addressing demagoguery and being a demagogue. Fact is, the theme of everything surrounding us from demagogues to fake news and back, is one of the topics on 'De Staat'. Florim even calls it the reason for naming his then project De Staat.

Photo: Kees Klein
'De Staat' is an extremely varied album, it makes the industrial songs, like 'The King' and 'The Fire', where hordes can march to, only one of several types of songs. Expect a more gentle side of De Staat as well and those with a little patience (or forgetting to turn off the cd) will get the surprise of their De Staat associated life. De Staat shows what you can do to the same song by going outside of its comfort zone and jump through circa 20 others. Jazz!

'The Underdog' kicks off as if David Guetta had a spasm or two while recording a new song, but then hear the song being turned inside out, with Torre Florim finding his inner Thom Yorke. A Radiohead influence can be heard more often on 'De Staat'. 'The Underdog shows a softer and more sensitive side, while having a huge industrial house component as well.

This is just one of the ways De Staat surprises. Listen to how a pitch can change within a song or how a choir is sampled, around which a whole song is built. Despite all the effects, some songs are far more bare than De Staat has ever released them before. In contrast with these strict marching orders of songs, all sorts of musical flowers bloom as if in the bulb fields of the Bollenstreek in spring.

Here I was thinking on the basis of the singles I'd heard, to have been there and done that and was presented with the most varied album De Staat ever made. On De Staat, the band shows itself both in its guise of ultimate musical endgame and at its most varied, making De Staat an extremely interesting album. And I like it, a lot.

Wout de Natris - van der Borght 

No comments:

Post a Comment