woensdag 17 januari 2024

A Floodplain Mind. Misophone

Misophone? The name did not ring a bell at all when I found the album on my digital doorstep. The music as such does ring bells as the band plays music that enters a long line of musicians but of the kind that usually go down quite well with me. Soft pop, with a few influences from here and there, sung with a soft voice not out to do any harm. A warm organ supporting the whole of the song to give a soft glow of warmth. As a whole A Floodplain Mind provides a pleasant listening experience.

As Misophone is a new name on this blog, a little background. Misophone is a British duo, S. Herbert and M. A. Welsh, and has been working on A Floodplain Mind for a whole decade. It is not its debut album but all that came before was not heard by me. The songs were recorded with contributions from a host of guests who've all added a special instrument or guitar part. It results in the softer kinds of music with elements of pop, folk, americana and singer-songwriter.

If I had to make any comparisons, I would start with the Moody Blues around 1970, without the more rocking songs like 'I'm Just A Singer In A Rock And Roll Band' or 'Ride My See Saw'. This includes a soft form of psychedelia, as well as Beatlesque horns and surprising sounds one does not expect on a pop album, listen for example to 'Apricity'. A band like Klaatu comes to mind as well. All pretty old in other words. Many of the songs can be described as pretty old in sound. That is the mood Misophone set for itself and chose to present to us listeners.

There's also a complaint. Misophone may not have made a record in 10 years, the limitless offer on hand here is far too much of a good thing. Thirty songs in total can be found on the album. I have to admit I haven't sat through it in one go a single time. About half way I quite each time (and never even noticed there were so many songs!). For that the atmosphere is too interchangeable. Perhaps I should come back later with a review of the second half. If only there weren't dozens of albums to be released in the coming weeks. Two albums in a shorter period may have been a wiser option.

Each time I start the album though, I am endeared to what I hear extremely soon. Let that be the message that comes to you first, the one that sticks, as A Floodplain Mind is an album that people who love soft-toned songs with a sound from over 50 years ago, that have enough melody to please, should check this album out. There is so much to discover.

Wout de Natris


You can listen to and order A Floodplain Mind here:

https://misophone.bandcamp.com/album/a-floodplain-mind

1 opmerking:

  1. We received a nice response on X from @Misophone1: "Thanks for the kind words. The next one is going to be of normal length I promise!".

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen