maandag 27 maart 2023

Big Tear. Pitou

Today a record that I am still digesting. As it is already released and in the coming weeks there will be a lot of new records coming out, I'm afraid I will not get around to Big Tear again. Because I am not ready really, this will be a short review and not a deep dive into my experiences as you may have gotten used to.

Dutch singer Pitou Nicolaes, living in Antwerp, has released her debut album and it is a record where a lot is happening. It is extremely intriguing. She plays expertly with a dreamy mood. In her singing and the music accompanying her voice the Efteling never seems far away. It is the kind of music that floats around my room more than that it is present.

Thinking of artists that come close I would present the following names: Robin Kester, Amber Arcades on her latest record, Chantal Acda and Elenne May. All Dutch artists. With Pitou as the one where the fairytale element runs largest. Just listen to a song like 'Greed' or 'Comfort' to understand what I mean. Pitou keeps her music as small as possible. An acoustic guitar of a more or less exotic form, some other acoustic instruments and finally atmosphere and the empty spaces in the recording room. It's all she needs to attract the listener to her voice, that in a few of the songs remind of Ann Wilson when singing a folk song by Heart, like 'Dreamboat Annie'.

Photo: Rayan Nohra
As I started with, I still do not have a complete picture. For that Big Tear is too diverse, too rich. Four, five listening sessions are not enough in this case. I will keep listening, as Big Tear is worth spending time with. I already know as much.

Let me end with the album title. Does she have a big tear because of the big tear in her coat or pants? In the title song yet another influence comes across, I've just noticed, Florence + Machine without the bombast. A lot of good things fall into the place called Big Tear.

Wout de Natris


You can order Big Tear and Pitou's two previous EPs here:

https://www.pitoumusic.com/store

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten