dinsdag 7 februari 2023

The Day My Father Died. SYML

The Day My Father Died is an as confusing as it often is a beautiful album. On the new album SYML or Brian Fennell as he is known to friends and family, explores the soft and atmospheric sides to his music. As the title already gives away, the inspiration for this album was found in one of the sad occasions that are an integral part of being alive. With the death of his adoption father, a lot of emotions, questions and realisations confronted him. "You set me free on your final day", suggest more than sadness, making The Day My Father Died an album to listen to in more ways than just enjoyment.

If I remember correctly this SYML's third album that reaches me digitally. The previous two did not resonate within me in any way. The Day My Father Died did from the very first song, and not because Lucius sings with Brian Fennell. No, it was because I was utterly confused, as I was assuming to be listening to a new song by City and Colour. Not much further SYML goes even deeper with a song that could have been the latest by Half Moon Run, when he double tracks his vocals in that typical way.

Beware, this is not part of a build up to a negative review. Far from even. 'Laughing At The Storm' holds the same level of quality most songs by Half Moon Run have. When you're able to reach this level of proficiency and musicality, you must be doing something right.

On this new album SYML provides its listeners with the option to listen intently, even to wallow in the melancholy mood that lays over most of the album. And yet, it is never too obvious or overdone. SYML presents its grieve, confusion and sadness in a mature way. On the route of the album, expect some harmonies with the quality of CSN, all done by himself is my guess. 'Sweet Home' is the kind of song that manages to mix 2023 with 'CSN' from 1977 and gloriously get away with it. With a big tip of the hat to Half Moon Run, again.

In 'Lost Myself' Guy Garvey makes a guest appearance shovelling his gravelly voice against the high voice of Brian Fennell. Again, a soft, slowish ballad that all turns around the word beauty. The five opening songs of The Day My Father Died are all a great tribute to the man, that would have made him proud.

With the title song the mood changes, as does the tempo. Again the ambivalence of his death comes forward, in the almost upbeat song. Admittedly, after this song my interest seems to wane a little. I'm still not certain whether this has to do with the quality of the songs. It seems more like the intensity of the first five songs is all I can take in one go.

There's no more time left to explore further, as the release date lies behind me already. Time will tell where The Day My Father Died and I will go. We are off to a good start and with all these references in mind, the album has every chance to end up in a very positive position.

Wout de Natris

 

You can listen to and order The Day My Father Died here:

https://syml.bandcamp.com/album/the-day-my-father-died


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten