vrijdag 3 december 2021

Kids Of The Estate. The Reytons

Yes, folks, what a load of energy comes tumbling out of my speakers. The Reytons surely found the well where it all comes dripping from, in abundance. Without a doubt, this is the giant upside to Kids Of The Estate, the debut album of Sheffield's latest musical sensation, The Reytons. The songs come hurtling out off the album as if there was no yesterday. I'll come back to that later.

The Reytons started releasing its songs in 2017 and by playing far and wide through the UK, slowly but surely expanded its fan base, including airplay. EPs and singles slowly built its reputation and now its time for more, a whole album.

Start it and you will know immediately from where the wind blows. Sheffield, yes, but of course more specifically the city's best known band of the past 16 years and possibly ever, Arctic Monkeys. I could have been fooled if someone had told me to be listening to an outtake, to be released on the 15th anniversary edition of 'Whatever'.. etc. The Reytons must be the best Arctic Monkeys cover band playing originals. Even in the lyrics there are references to lyrics on Arctic Monkeys' debut album. And there is the local dialect. So much for that other side to Kids Of The Estate.

I notice that I'm in a bind. On the one side I am certainly tickled because this is good. The Reytons do everything right. The fierce tempo, the melodies, the self-assured level of playing. The opening of the album truly has it all. On the other side I notice that I am not listening to the real thing, Perhaps I truly have enough songs in this style with the first two album of the Sheffield original?

Promo photo
It was in 'Oor' that I first learned of the album. In the review the writer stated that Kids Of The Estate is a fine album but there already is an Arctic Monkeys. The conclusion sounds as right as logical. When I want to listen to the best songs ever written in this style, I will always turn to 'Whatever People Say I Am, That Is What I Am Not'. 100% certain and otherwise 'Favourite Worst Nightmare'.

Does this leave room for Kids Of The Estate? Only time will tell. Fact is, for kids who are turning to music today for the first time, do they exist?, The Reytons may provide total excitement and all they need in 20s rock and roll. Let's face it, The Reytons do provide exciting rock and roll in abundance.

So, allow me to conclude that I will give Kids Of The Estate the benefit of the doubt. O.k., towards the end the band shows that it likes a 00s band like The Kooks as well, when the energy goes down a little. A bit inconsistent but I can live with it. The Reytons know how to write a good rock and roll songs and create some stark riffs for them. All bands have a starting point, so let us wait and see where that point takes them in the coming years.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten