woensdag 15 september 2021

Parallel Timeline. Slothrust

Yes, I should have been warned, but once again I was fooled by the band name, Slothrust. Somehow I see a bunch of long-haired, heavily tattooed, denim or leather-cladded metal band in front of me. 'The Pact' was reviewed favourably exactly three years ago this week. And so will Parallel Timeline. The difference with my previous Slothrust review is that from the very first notes the album sat on my good side.

Opening song 'Cranium' is the kind of spaciously mixed slow alternative rocker that quite often packs me in with ease. Reading my 2018 review, I get the impression, having heard Parallel Timelines several times over the past weeks, I can rewrite the review and only have to rewrite the song titles. (One exception: the artwork. I'll refrain from commenting this time around.) Usually that spells inertia for a band. However, that would be selling Slothrust's new album considerably short.

Again, Slothrust surprises with a wide range of styles. The band can rock with the best of them, play a sensitive ballad and everything in between. Leah Weilbaum's guitars munge on huge riffs, fiery solo's and pleasant sounding balladry. Behind her the bass, Kyle Bann, and drums, Will Gorin, can grow to huge proportions. Her voice has several sides to it that she all explores and shares. I stand by my comparison with Wolf Alice('s Ellie Rowsell). Weilbaum's voice has more power but the effect they strive for in their singing is similar. From delicate and vulnerable to rage and back.

Promo photo: Lyndsey Byrnes
Listening to Parallel Timeline does ask flexibility of its listeners. Slothrust shows different sides of itself that the listener has to be able to stomach. A soft ballad is alternated with a strong rocker or a demure song built around a repeated riff on an acoustic guitar. It is an adventure in music that the listener has to be open to, to undergo.

Those who do, soar across the plethora of emotions Slothrust presents. They surf on huge guitar solo notes, are pummelled by the bass and battered by the drums, soothed by Leah Weinbaum's voice or shouted into the corner making oneself as small as possible, as hiding is the only thing left to do. It all comes by and more. But it all sounds crystal clear. Recording and mixing give Parallel Timeline a beautiful sound.

Leah Weinbaum wanted to make a very personal album. That is for her to judge. I can acknowledge that I'm being taken through a whole host of moods, atmospheres and vibes. They touch me and make me work, without noticing it, to like the album more and more. Mission accomplished by Slothrust it seems.

Wout de Natris


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten