zaterdag 25 september 2021

A Beginner's Mind. Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine

Two singer-songwriters have made a duo album, so a debut album of sorts. In the mid 00s I was introduced to the former, by way of albums like 'Michigan' and 'Illinois', a promised series of 50 albums, visiting each U.S. state. This never came about and with the ever more esoteric output, I lost interest in Sufjan Stevens' music. It was not for me. The latter is a totally new name for me, so a true introduction.

As the reviews accompanying the release of A Beginner's Mind were extremely positive, I gave the release a, cautious, listen, being mindful of my 'Carrie And Lowell experience. Just like with the two albums mentioned above, though not played for over a decade, I was drawn into the duo's album ever closer.

It is not as if, at first listen, a lot happens on A Beginner's Mind. No, it was the relaxed atmosphere that drew me in. Stevens and De Augustine caught me with the soft singing. Two voices, close to singing with a whisper, the one even higher than the other. Two voices obviously fitting together.

They are the centrepiece of all happening around them. The music, made on conventional instruments, a(n acoustic) guitar, drums, bass, keyboards and even some modern electronics, is very present. It's not the music though, it is the two voices that always lead the way. Even in a more filled-in song like 'Back To Oz' the whispered singing lies fully over it. Not for the first time on the album my thoughts go back to Elliot Smith. He was a master of this trick. At times I feel like it is a long lost album by Smith. Listen to 'Murder And Crime' and tell me differently. His ghost is singing here.

The duo decided to work together after a jamming session a few years ago worked quite well. Film buffs will undoubtedly notice how famous (cult) movies, some from decades ago, even in the former century/millennium, inspired some of the songs. That's all nice to know but has nothing to do with the quality of the songs. That quality is obviously there. Both singer-songwriters brought the best they have to their session together and combined that into the soft, very atmospheric, at times mysterious songs they proudly present to the world.

This will not be an album that I personally will play a lot. For that the music is too typical. At the right occasion though, it is a perfect album. I.e. the moment that I am tired, do not want to do anything else than listen to an album with my headset on and immerse myself in music that allows me to truly relax and tune off, totally submerged in it. There are enough albums that qualify, but A Beginner's Mind definitely is added to this list.

Wout de Natris

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten