maandag 14 september 2020

Door EP. Luwten

There are albums that move into the outer fringe of what I can appreciate. Often they involve electronics, R&B of the modern kind, that usually falls over the beyond line and some kind of modernity that goes beyond the "easy" way to present a song. Luwten scored high on all these points and seems to stay on the right side of that delicate line at the outer fringe of my personal musical universe.

Her debut album did not, although I can't tell you why. It just did not reach me, while Door does. Also now it his hard for me to determine why that is exactly. Let me start with her voice. Although it is often not the real thing I am hearing but an electronically altered or adapted version, it remains just fine to listen to.

A second factor is that the opening song, 'Don't Be A Stranger', appealed to me straight away. It has a very intriguing streak, a mysterious component suggesting a modern kind of psychedelia in the music and the background vocals. Despite the fact that it contains elements I often hear in U.S. R&B stars' songs, Luwten adds that level of mystery. It makes 'Don't Be A Stranger' a different beast. Closer to Alt-J, a band that I have learned to appreciate.

The EP as a whole has that alternative vibe around it, with weird little sounds hidden in the songs, making me wonder what they are. Details I only get to discover because I am listening.

The second song has a drive that I would not expect in this genre. 'Control' is a song that is constrained. That drive is totally under control alright. The singing is so loose in contrast. It's jazzy, relaxed, close to rap in some places. The layers of voices give 'Control' an extra that is extremely welcome. At the same time 'Control' is danceable. The slow, caressing kind but no one will stop somebody who really wants to dance at the same time.

Promo photo: Eddo Hartmann
By that time Door has caught me in its own special way. Without going such extreme ways like Jehnny Beth on her solo cd 'To Love Is To Live' Luwten does catch a part of that mood with the more direct 'Full Well'. Again a song that simply does things right.

Tessa Douwstra is a singer, producer and musician who uses everything she finds of interest to become part of her music. Listen closely and you hear samples and electronic noises come by in the songs that are not obvious always at first listen. They allow Door to grow and become more interesting.

To drop a final name. I find that several songs remind me of what Flemish singer Lizzy is working on together with produces Joes Brands. Her songs try to mix electronics with pop music as well and prepared me for Door, making me think that I'm listening to an electronic version of The LVE, the band Brands plays the drums in.

Summing up, Door surprised me in a pleasant way. The album invited me to listen to songs that could easily have gone beyond my musical scope but instead settled nicely on my outer fringe.

Wo.

You can listen to and buy Door here:

https://luwten.bandcamp.com/


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten