dinsdag 11 augustus 2020

A Hero's Death. Fontaines D.C.

Fontaines D.C. have become critics' darlings fast. Last year's 'Dogrel' did not get past my personal criteria though to start writing on a record. I did not think it good nor original enough to listen past two to three sessions. A Hero's Death again stirred a lot of excitement on release but my take is that most critics are somewhat disappointed.

Yet, I'm writing. That started with that great single called 'A Hero's Death'. The energy sucked me into listening to the album after its release. What struck me first is that the band is releasing its second album in the year after its debut and not three years or more later, like is more normal nowadays. I'm happy with it. Bands must write and record new songs all the time. It's the only way to progress as songwriters which is the essence of any band or singer.

I find that the energy of the same titled single is brought to most of the album. There are some ballads in there as well, that many critics object to. I don't. They bring a balance to A Hero's Death. Something the album needs. Not every song can be like 'Living In America', a great alternative rock outing, exploring sonic ranges of guitars and all. The balance is what gives this album its depth, something I missed on 'Dogrel'. The energy is spread out evenly this way.

This combination makes that I have started listening seriously to A Hero's Death. I still do not rate the album as high as 'Songs Of Praise', Shame's debut but certainly on a level with The Murder Capital's 'When I Have Fears'.

The album kicks off with guitars and drums playing an almost jazzy rhythm. A bit lazy in sound underscored by the gravelly voice of Grian Cullen. 'I Don't Belong' is an intriguing song. Where will it go? Will it explode at some point? Questions I find myself asking the whole time. It keeps building itself up. Little details are added, a piano comes in, the band plays harder, a cymbal is used. When most sounds disappear near the end I know the explosion will not come. The thought of an exciting song remains with me just the same.

One of the things I notice in most songs is the inventive drumming of Tom Coll. In several songs there's a special pattern he plays on and on, creating a meditative mood almost. On the one hand it confines what the rest of the band can do over the drumming, on the other it supports the atmospheric song 'Love Is The Main Thing' is. It makes the song stand out. I hear that happen in a few songs on A Hero's Death and I notice I like it.

With the third song the energy is turned around. 'Televised Mind' is an alternative rocker and one of the songs where singer Cullen uses the repetition of a lyric line to set the mood of the song. Not as extreme as Porridge Radio but quite similar in effect. Fontaines D.C. is rocking out in a great way here, only to jump over with 'A Lucid Dream' and the title song. Yes, I hear Liam Gallagher's way of singing and several great post punk bands in there but also Fontaines D.C. This band is its own with a little inspiration from the past.

The third kind of song on A Hero's Death is a softer version of a ballad, for an alternative rock band. To me the band gets away with it with ease. It is able to write a convincing ballad without becoming a syrupy, sticky band like Foreigner was in the 80s. There's no comparison here. I just love the little wailing guitar in 'Your Mind' for example.

A band is allowed to diversify and experiment with new forms in order to develop and be set for the long(er) haul. In my ears the band has made the right step towards a long and successful career. A Hero's Death is so much better than 'Dogrel'. What a step forward!

Wo.

You can listen to and buy A Hero's Death here:

https://fontainesdc.bandcamp.com/album/a-heros-death


or listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten