maandag 22 juni 2020

Tragas O Escupes. Jarabe de Palo

In the summer of 1997 I visited Spain for a marriage of a friend together with other friends. In the discotheques of Salamanca three songs were played over and over: 'La Macarena', something by The Spice Girls and a Spanish song that was so incredibly good. I found out that it was called 'La Flaca'. The next day I bought the album. In fact that record shop, just off the Plaza Mayor, may be the only one abroad I bought an album twice over the years. Both by Jarabe de Palo. Ever since I remained a fan of Jarabe de Palo. Even got to see the band play live a few times in Amsterdam. Since 'Somos' in 2014, then my album of the year, things remained silent. In 2020 a thin looking Pau Donés returns with his band on Tragas O Escupes.

The album kicks off with the drums and a nice up tempo song, ''Vuelvo'. The music is immediately likeable. It has that upbeat atmosphere Jarabe de Palo has in this upbeat songs. The voice of Pau Donés is different though. It sounds older and thinner, more tired than in 2014 and before. Something has changed for sure here. Being in his early 50s is not necessarily an explanation.

That said, musically the album certainly grows on me. Again the band mixes southern European, Latin and western rock elements in a mix that makes it hard not to like it and not to move the body along to the music. It seems so effortless to swing like this, as swing it does. The music fully allows someone to live in the moment. Surrender to it and the outside world no longer exists. Of course that goes for all music, but for me Jarabe de Palo makes me feel good immediately as well. I do not understand anything he sings about, some words apart, but it doesn't matter one thing. This band plays feel good music with a slightly exotic touch. It doesn't take more for me.

Playing the album for the first time a few weeks ago, I was hit by the oh, yeah, I heard this before feeling, that I sometimes have when hearing a new album by a favourite artist of years if not decades. Sometimes it is correct but not with Tragas O Escupes. The album came more alive with each spin and started to show her secrets slowly. The clean sound in which so many great details come forward as the mix is well done. Attention was clearly given to details when recording and mixing. It gives each song on the album its own characteristics. Whether a dry percussion, a hi-hat, saxophone or guitar line, they all come forward nicely next to the prominent voice of Pau Donés.

It is such a nice thing to hear, a favourite artist who delivers with his new album. With Tragas O Escupes Jarabe de Palo delivers alright. Although it is instantly recognisable as Jarabe de Palo the band does experiment with its sound as well. 'Hombrecitos' has a new sound to it, very 70s, I think, reggae of the 'Dreadlock Holiday' kind, with a surf(guitar) sound that is even older. It makes 'Hombrecitos' a song that attracts attention immediately, without overdoing anything.

There's more of that, where the Spanish/Mexican tradition enters the album. 'Me Flechaste Ingrata' is really something different, the trumpet is used so melancholically, underscoring the whole of the song. It holds a yearning for things past that will never returns. A beautiful song. To discover this beauty it is a necessity to truly get to know the album. I am glad I have and have started to discover all the things that passed me by when being introduced to it. Never give up after one go, is a wise walk in life.

It seems Jarabe de Palo has released another great album.

And then I open Wikipedia and sit shocked behind my screen. My hunch feeling seeing his picture and the weaker voice proved only too true. Pau Donés died on 9 June, two weeks after the release of Tragas O Escupes. News that did not reach my country or at least me. Jarabe de Palo and I have reached the end of our road, except that I am allowed to walk it some more, with the music the band has given me, the memories of Salamanca and the shows I saw in the Melkweg in Amsterdam in the 00s. I notice the news truly affects me deeply. Time to write some more. (You can read that writing here: http://wonomagazine.blogspot.com/2020/06/pau-dones-of-jarabe-de-palo-1966-2020.html).

Wo.

Listen to our Spotify Playlist to find out what we are writing about:

https://open.spotify.com/user/glazu53/playlist/6R9FgPd2btrMuMaIrYeCh6?si=KI6LzLaAS5K-wsez5oSO2g


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten